Re: [xmca] The Self-esteem movement

Bronson and Merryman address the self-esteem "movement" in their popular
science book "nurture shock".  Their references might be a place to start.
 See attached.

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 4:05 AM, Peter Smagorinsky <smago@uga.edu> wrote:

> I should follow up by noting that LSV considered a change in the
> environment surrounding people of difference (those with biological
> "defects" such as deafness) to be fundamental to the self-esteem of the
> person of difference. He argued for the need to normalize difference by
> changing the attitudes of those in the cultural mainstream so that they
> ceased to pity or belittle people with different biological functions so
> that they could more easily adapt and assimilate and thus feel more a part
> of society and build self-esteem. So, in LSV's conception, eliminating
> bullying attitudes helped to build the self-esteem and feeling of inclusion
> of people of difference.

Deborah Downing Wilson, Ph.D.
Laboratory for Comparative Human Cognition
http://lchc.ucsd.edu/
<http://lchc.ucsd.edu/>Department of Communication
http://communication.ucsd.edu/
University of California San Diego
http://www.ucsd.edu/

Attachment deleted - copyright material: Bronson and Merryman Inverse Power of Praise
Bruce Jones - Wed Mar 1 11:49:09 PST 2023