Re: [xmca] The essence of the aesthetic reaction

Christine, Peter, David,  [and all the others who are participating in this
conversation about aesthetic *reaction* or *responses*]

First I also want to offer a gift in return on this topic.  The attachment
is Chapter 3 by Saalea, On Wittgenstein's engagement with this topic.  I
have been reading Saalea as SHOWING us how Wittgenstein is DESCRIBING the
COMPLEXITY of this topic and how this topic *resists* [does the text have
agency??] simplification.

In the background I have Gadamer responding to  Vygotsky, Wittgenstein,

" I appreciate your *beautiful* interpretations of *aesthetic experience*.
These are very *deep* and developed DESCRIPTIONS of aesthetic reaction *as*
complex particular use and functions.  They also offer detailed *ways* of
understanding our participation in the descriptive horizons they
elaborate." Gadamer in response would ask a further question beyond our
theories and models. For Gadamer ALL theories  are *simplfying and reducing
this complexity.

[Gadamer] may  want to ask one further question.  "

I use the term *fusion* as a KEY term within my question.  "After
developing particular MODELS OF phenomena -explanatory or interpretive -
HOW do WE [in conversation, dialogue, intersubjectively] FUSE *OUR*
horizons which are elaborated in your theories and models

This notion of *fusion* in Gadamer's possible question I find intriguing.
Gadamer seems to be extending the notion that *perspectives* views*
*traditions* *discourses* all are HORIZONS.  Horizons can EXPAND [we can
see further and more and *deeper*]  BUT FUSION is never SUBSUMPTION or
REDUCTION or IDENTITY or DIFFERENCE,  What is left??? As I read Gadamer,
what is left is *fusion*  as a clearly reflected term to explore *expanding
horizons*  Fusion has a structure and a *dis-position* [a commitment to a
*way* of *seeing* and *showing* through gesture, images/symbols, and
signs]  This structure IS an *AS- structure*. [not metaphor as a part of
language but metaphoricity AS language The terms *as if* or *as* are
*fusion* terms  [neither merely similarity OR dissimilarity]  There seems
to be another structure or *way* of understanding relata [HOW phenomena are
fused]

I want to again remind others that I am new to this conversational
*style* and THIS entire reflection is *in over my head*.  I could not
participate without the mediation and tools offered by all of you and
Vygotsky, Wittgenstein, Gadamer and others.   The DESCRIPTIONS are indeed
complex, and the models elaborate.  Marx being invited back to converse
with the classical Greeks [and my "listening in* as a witness.  FUSION as
the metaphoricity [as circling being/becoming within EFFECTIVE history]
 that I'm attempting to *see* through the fog of my horizon to a wider more
expansive horizon of understanding.

Christine, is my RESPONSE [my answer] a construction, a composition, an
ensemble, that *I* am reacting to or MAKING [with mastery??]  expressing my
*self* spontaneously or reflectively ???
  OR
 am I being CARRIED along within the *play* [dance, song, drama] OF
effective history openning and unveiling the *unsaid* within the fusion of
my horizon and histories horizons.  THIS play *as* reciprocal &  expanding
BOTH *my* horizon* AND *effective histories* [plural]  horizons ?  The past
not as DEAD metaphoricity but LIVING metaphoricity

Christine, thank you for that article on Wittgenstein. The article attached
is exploring *similar* themes.

Larry