Re: [xmca] Fwd: The Privilege of Absurdity

Jay,
I, for one, am deeply skeptical of how intentional are the "creations of
elites." The elites certainly benefit from these creations, but I think
that they are dupes just like the rest of us. The elites just happen to be
the "lucky" dupes (depending, of course, on what you mean by "lucky").

My sense is that it's dupes all the way down! (or "up," as the case may be).

-greg

p.s.  Seems better to look at the structure of the system for the key to
the problem.

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Jay Lemke <jaylemke@umich.edu> wrote:

> And not just cultural mediation, but cultural politics. If we strip away
> the rhetoric of sacred and moral values, we find, I think, that all such
> grand causes for which people fight and die, or just slave away, are the
> creations of elites who benefit from the naive trust in these ideas,
> symbols, and rituals by large numbers of other people. I think the usual
> term for such people is, unfortunately but accurately, dupes.
>
> I do not believe that evolution has endowed our species with any special
> propensity for being duped by false gods. Our herd comfort in grand causes
> and ideals may be real enough, but it is simply the political manipulation
> of the underlying human capacity for mediation by symbols (discourses,
> images, ideologies, etc.) that gives cover to the pursuit of their own
> interests by elites.
>
> The problem is not even so much that all such gods are false. It is that
> they are gods made by other people to serve themselves. And I would
> emphatically include in this analysis the traditional churches and their
> religions as well as historical and modern ideologies of more secular
> kinds. It is customary in polite society to simply tolerate these forms of
> mass deception for the comfort they give to those who have little else, but
> I think we know that this is not the path to a better world for all.
>
> JAY.
>
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 5:25 PM, mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a suspicion that cultural mediation may play a role here. What do
> > you think?
> > mike

Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Sanford I. Berman Post-Doctoral Scholar
Laboratory of Comparative Human Cognition
http://ucsd.academia.edu/GregoryThompson