 From: Peter Smagorinsky <smago@uga.edu>
To: Anton Yasnitsky <the_yasya@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2012 3:53:49 PM
Subject: RE: [xmca] RE: the wacky world of indexing (Vygotsky's views on PLAY and development)

Thanks Anton. Here’s the section I must have referenced (pp. 260-1):

play as experimentation with rules and models

Vygotsky points out that the features of human perception of real objects
are not only colors and shapes, but also meaning. He expresses this in a
ratio where the object is the numerator and the meaning is the denominator
(object/meaning). This ratio symbolizes the idea that all human
perception is made up of generalized rather than isolated instances of perception.
The object dominates the meaning, but what Vygotsky points
out is that in a child’s play this ratio can be inverted and the meaning
can dominate the object, for example, when a stick can be a horse or a
gun. In play, the child can operate with meanings detached from their
usual objects and actions. For the small child, there is some constraint on
what can function as the meaning of an object. Vygotsky characterizes
this reversal of the ratio between object and meaning as an intermediate
stage between early childhood and the adult’s competence with meaning.
For the adult, meaning can come to dominate thoughts totally free
of real situations. Vygotsky says that:
A divergence between the field of meaning and vision first occurs at
preschool age. In play thought is separated from objects, and action arises
from the ideas rather than from things: a piece of wood begins to be a
doll and a stick becomes a horse. Action according to rules begins to be
determined by ideas and not by objects themselves. This is such a reversal
of the child’s relation to the real immediate, concrete situation that it is
hard to underestimate its full significance. (Vygotsky, 1978, p. 97)
In the same way as the object-meaning ratio, Vygotsky notes that the
action-meaning ratio can be reversed in play. Vygotsky points out that,
when action becomes separated from meaning in play, the rules become
very explicit in play. “Thus the essential attribute of play is a rule that
has become a desire. Spinoza’s notion of ‘an idea which has become a
desire, a concept which has turned into a passion’ finds its prototype in
play, which is the realm of spontaneity and freedom” (Vygotsky, 1978,
p. 99). The children can play the persons that do activities that they
want to do or change, for example, bus driver or doctor. In addition,
play enriches the child’s everyday activity through developing the child’s
concepts and motives.
Combining Wartofsky’s ideas of tertiary artifacts with Vygotsky’s theory
play can be seen as a step toward mastering tertiary artifacts, that is,
where children can experiment with the meaning in an imagined world
such as role-play. For preschool children, experimentation with objects
and rules that attain “new meanings,” can become aspects of play within
an imagined world. This can be found when children develop the same
game over time and extend and change the rules of the game. Today, this
can also be found in commercial games, such as Dungeons and Dragons
and in computer games. So the three forms of representation (primary,
secondary, and tertiary) find their first form in children’s play activity.