Re: [xmca] Researchers looking into non-linear constructions of time

A good source for a non-linear view of time is Eliot Mischler's the Double
Arrows of time.
email me directly if you'd like a pdf of it.
-greg

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Martin Packer <packer@duq.edu> wrote:

> Neil MacGregor, Director of the British Museum, enters the final week of
> his object-based history. Taking artefacts from William Shakespeare's time,
> he explores how Elizabethan and Jacobean playgoers made sense of the
> unstable and rapidly changing world in which they lived. With old
> certainties shifting around them, in a time of political and religious
> unrest and economic expansion, Neil asks what the plays would have meant to
> the public when they were first performed. He uses carefully selected
> objects to explore the great issues of the day that preoccupied the public
> and helped shape the works, and he considers what they can reveal about the
> concerns and beliefs of Shakespearean England.
>
> Programme 16 A TIME OF CHANGE, A CHANGE OF TIME - A rare domestic clock
> with an equally rare minute hand and quarter-hour chimes reveals the
> changing relationship Shakespeare's audiences had to time.
>
> <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01h6461>
>
> On May 7, 2012, at 1:26 PM, Michelle Zoss wrote:
>
> > Dear XMCA Colleagues,
> >
> > I am working on a project with my colleague, Alisha White, in which we
> are trying to understand the experiences of a  teacher during her second
> year of teaching in which she was diagnosed, treated, and recovered from
> cancer.
> >
> > The issue at hand is this: Time, as we understand it based on her
> discussion of her experiences, was not linear. She often spoke about time
> in a folded or overlapping sense--she spoke about past, present, and future
> all at once on a number of occasions. We speculate that her understanding
> of time was not linear because she positioned her experiences as being
> present to her at the moment of the interview, though the experiences had
> already happened in the past or she was talking about what her experiences
> would be like in the future. Trying to parse out whether she was talking
> about recent past events or future events was something we encountered
> throughout the analysis of several hours of formal and informal interviews
> that were conducted during and just after the school year.
> >
> > The question we would like to pose for consideration of the group is
> this:
> >
> > Where and to whom do we look for discussions and analyses of time in
> people's experiences as possibly non-linear?
> >

> > This question is here, in part, because of work that I did with Peter
> Smagorinsky in analyzing the work of a Native American student and his
> composing practices in an English class (see: http://ijea.org/v8n10/). In
> this study, the student named Peta described how a mapping activity to show
> his life could not be linear because "No way in life is linear." This
> phrase has been rattling around in my own brain since about 2005.
> >

> > For the current study, we think that time was not linear for the teacher
> in our study as well. For her, time was less a function of a clock marking
> [...]

Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Sanford I. Berman Post-Doctoral Scholar
Laboratory of Comparative Human Cognition
Department of Communication
University of California, San Diego
http://ucsd.academia.edu/GregoryThompson