Re: [xmca] Measuring culture

Larry, Martin, Greg:

(Not necessarily in that order; I am still trying to figure out what the inner meaning of "Whoa!" is. I tried interpreting it as an emotive palindrome and got "a-ohw", which sounds somewhere between Eliza Doolittle and a Teletubbie, definitely not Greg's normal diction.)

Thanks for all that Merleau-Ponty. I only have "Phenomenologie de la perception" at hand. I have to figure out how to get a copy of "Signs" in French, though; there are parts of it that are not at all clear to me.

For example, when M-P contrasts fomalism to a "literature of subject", he appears to be talking about a kind of literary criticism, the kind which ignores the 'device' and the 'technique' and simply looks at the subject. As Bakhtin points out, this is what we do with novels.

Novels are long. Novels are prosaic. Novels are a kind of osmotic membrane, a permeable membrane, a porous boundary between everyday conversation and literary language. And in that sense novels are different from other art forms, because they straddle this frontier and do not simply instantiate a conversation in the same medium but actually realize it in another medium.

So we end up treating the novel the way we would treat a long turn in a prosaic, everyday, somewhat tedious conversation, that is, commenting on what the novel is about and leaving it at that. We read the novel as a list of subjects, as a cast of characters, or as as documents of non-artistic doctrines: politics, political economy, power relations between sexes, etc. (My wife is working on this problem; but as usual we are having trouble finding a publisher.)

I am less sure what to make of Martin's text. I guess I don't believe in 'inner form' which is separate from 'outer form'. It seems to me that what Vygotsky calls 'inner form' is really just the potential for outer forms (that is, for concrete, fully realized senses). These potentials are infinite, but they are not indefinite, else they could not be defined in use. Sense is a realization of signification, and signification is the potential that underlies that realization.

But realization is a very different relationship from instantiation. The style/meaning of a literary text is an instance of genre, just as genre itself is an instantiation of the language system as a whole. No boundaries are being crossed here; there is no transition from the ideal to the real, or from the potential to the actual..

Halliday puts it this way: meaning is realized as wording. Wording is realized as sounding (that is, expression, phonetics, phonology, and in the case of a written text, orthography). But meaning, wording, and sounding together are instances of subpotential (what Bakhtin calls a speech genre) and that subpotential is an instance of the system as a whole.

It seems to me that Merleau-Ponty is confusing the two things when he talks about words that teach ourselves our own thoughts from the outside. To the extent that those thoughts are my thoughts, it is realization. But to the extent that they are instances of the wisdom of the ancestors congealed in the form of the speech genre, is it an instantiation.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies