Re: [xmca] Re: Reading Mike's cultural psychology

Huw:

I just got back from a Saturday seminar on Chapter Two of Vygotsky's "History of the Development of the Higher Psychological Functions". Like Mike's book, it's a frustrating piece of writing in some ways: Vygotsky tells you that he is going to produce a small working model of a higher psychological function, which will create the very basis for their experimental replication that the traditional Stimulus-Response experiment has failed to provide.

He then tells you that it is based on a real but rudimentary function. That although it is today eking out a miserable existence in a world it no longer understands, it once played a heroic role in leading the whole of humanity out of the bestiality of an animal existence into the semi-bestiality of a capitalist one.

After sixty highly opaque pages, he tells you exactly what he has in mind: Buridan's ass, an imaginary donkey surrounded by bales of hay, unable to decide which to eat first, and therefore starving to death. (This is then the basis for three real monographs of rudientary functions: casting lots, tying knots and counting on your fingers, or auguries, mnemonics and tokens for manipulating concepts.)

Why a gedankenexperiment (actually, Buridan's donkey was really a rhetorical ploy by angry Aristotelians against Jean Buridan, one of the world's first strict behaviorsts and as such a denier of free will)? Why not a real experiment?

Oh, Vygotsky explains that too: In a logical account, you move the main purpose of your object of analysis to the beginning of your account of it, but at the beginning of a truly developmental chronological account, that purpose is nowhere to be seen.

Such a logical account (where the unit is analyzed first) is always contained in a chronological account but it is also hidden, because "chronos" stands in front of it and obscures it, with all the messy things that humans fill their time with.

And of all of that is really standing in front of my real defense of the imaginary character. In English language teaching studies here in Korea, we found that contrary to the usual dogma of "real life" talk about "you and me", talk of imaginary characters in the classroom almost always produces language that is consistently more uninhibited, and linguistically more complex.

We also found that children are much more able to reason morally and ethically when they are talking about hypothetical moral dilemmas then when they are confronted with (fabricated) "real" ones (e.g. classroom turn taking). And that even preschoolers are much more likely to use the ethical meaning of "good" when they are in the third person point of view then when they are exercising the second or first one.

Why should this be? Oh, the linguistics of it is easy to explain: in all the languages I know, first and second person is more iconic, more indexical, more context-embedded and thus less sophisticated symbolically (compare "Look here!" with "I would like him to look at me.")

The developmental aspect is less transparent. In language teaching we have committed a hundred year mistake, quite similar to (yea, predicated upon) the mistakes of structuralist linguistics: we have assumed that the pure purpose of language is social communication and that the derived purpose of self-communication is somehow always a derivative of this, the way written language is supposedly a derivative of spoken.

But suppose self-communication were, developmentally, the central goal of language use (as it is in a Korean classroom)? Yea, suppose the child's own self is an imaginary character?Then, as Brecht says, the reality of the theatre lies precisely in its unreality, about which it behooves us to be perfectly and completely frank. To children one must always tell the absolute truth about lies.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies