RE: [xmca] Centralized vs. Distributed decision-making in schools

Andy, I'll let you know when there are thousands of little teacher-dictators running educational policy in the US. Right now they can't even dictate when they go to the bathroom, much less make decisions that oppress others.

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2012 6:53 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Centralized vs. Distributed decision-making in schools

Well, I am certainly following this discussion, Peter, and with interest, despite a suspicion that my views on the question risked being dismissed as that of an "orthodox marxist." :) I think, Peter, it makes little difference whether education (or the economy) is run by thousands of little dictators or one great dictator. Well, probably, we think thousands of little dictators is better because a few kids will survive thanks to the odd benign dictator. It does seem though that parties of all persuasion who gain power at national or state or whatever level set out to "teacher-proof" the education of children. If that is part of your complaint, I agree with you.

I do think Jay is arguing in the right direction nthough. No kind of planning will work in the absence of a working democracy. The best thing we can do is criticise the way things are done - content rather than form - i.e., criticise education not organisation. Lousy theories of education can only be resolved by a social movement I think, not an argument how education is organised.

Andy