From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of Martin Packer
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:31 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [xmca] adult affordances

An odd conjunction of issues of content and management  in my undergraduate
developmental psychology course has me puzzled, and so I'm appealing for
xmca help!  A few weeks ago I was expounding on the notion that the toddler
lives in a world not of permanent objects but of affordances - irresistible
offers to action, made by the things and people and places that surround him
or her. Gibson, filtered through Vygotsky.

At the same time, I was waging an unceasing war against the use of cell
phones in the classroom. (Today I actually got to the point of confiscating
them when I saw them, and telling the students they could buy them back from
me later in the city center. With humor, I hope!)

Finally, it struck me. These young adults, too, are victims of irresistible
offers to action, made by their little iPhones or Nokias or whatever.

So what is it about a cell phone that completely overwhelms any and every
facet of self control? Why is it that I can forbid cell use at the start of
each class, yet in seconds they start to appear? What is it that transforms
a young adult into no more than a toddler?

Martin