[xmca] Mike Rose responses

Mike Rose is not a member of xmca, so I have changed the header and
included him
on the cc line, so if for purposes of this discussion, people would stick
to using REPLY ALL, mike will automatically be included.(Mike, you are of
course free to join for whatever period its useful).

So, Mike's note:

Hi Mike (and Andy), Thanks for sending this comment by David Kellogg along.
I don't have a way to get onto the MCA site, so could you post this for me,
please?

I want to thank David Kellogg for his comments and also Robert Lake for his
response. Their exchange is a rich one, and since, as David correctly
notes, I am definitely NOT a welder, I cannot comment on some of the
specifics. I do want to say a few things, though, by way of clarification.

The characterization of overhead welding as "something else" is not mine
but that of a young man who had never welded before and who is only about
three or four months into learning the trade. For him at his stage of
development, overhead welding is "something else." After a point, he will
become proficient at it and incorporate it into his repertoire of skills.

As for David's point that "you can't take the skill from one domain to
another"...e.g., from welding to writing, I couldn't agree more, and hope
to God I didn't imply such wide transfer. I certainly didn't state it. But
I absolutely did witness more going on than just learning ways to hold
tools and execute delicate physical moves. These students, as they
progressed, learned things about the properties of metals, about
electricity, about arithmetic calculations. The also had to become good at
problem solving and trouble shooting and figuring out how to execute their
physical skills in difficult circumstances. And some of this learning can
be carried over to other pursuits. Perhaps the key variable here is that
David learned his skills on the job--a perfectly legitimate and powerful
way to learn--and the young welders I write about are learning their trade
in a particularly good program where the instructors are continually
calling their attention to the cognitive content of their work. Also, for a
fair percentage of students, getting good at welding whetted their
appetites for more education in other areas.

Finally, I just want to raise a cautionary word about the
skilled/semi-skilled distinction that David raises. When you read the
history of the development of different kinds of work, one thing that jumps
out is the fact that definitions and distinctions about skill are subject
to all sorts of political and cultural forces. Welding, at least in the US,
provides a good example. In the early twentieth century, rival trades
unions exerted a good deal of political pressure to keep welding defined as
a "semi-skill" to protect their own advantage. This battle went all the way
up to the federal Department of Labor, where the Secretary, for political
reasons, agreed to the semi-skilled definition. I'm not calling for a naive
cognitive egalitarianism here; different kinds of work demand different
kind of cognitive activity. If I need a surgeon, I'm not going to consult a
carpenter. But the easy distinction between "skilled" and "semi-skilled"
should be used with some caution.

Thanks again to David and Robert for weighing in.