Re: [xmca] MCA Featured Article by Mike Rose

Welding was something I learned through legitimate peripheral participation at the pineapple cannery where I worked when I was sixteen. It didn't require any mathematics, but it did, as Rose says, require a very sensitive "feel" for how hot the metal is, how long your arc is, and how fast you can travel with it.

I don't really agree that overhead welding is "something else again". In overhead welding, you have to move the "stinger" (the electrode) quickly enough so that your puddle of liquid metal remains small and cold and doesn't drip in your face (well, on your face mask). One of the parameters of welding (puddle size) is more important than the others, but it ithe same (semi-)skill with the same parameters.

And that's the problem I think is worth talking about. Once you learn flat welding and vertical welding, you can "graduate" to overhead, because it's not "something else"; it's manifestly the same skill. And there is a lot you can do with this skill. I worked in a cannery, on a locomotive assembly line, and eventually in a specialized shop which made racing car engines in London.

But (it seems to me) you can't graduate to mathematics, and you can't take the skill from one domain to another: my welding put me into college. But it didn't write the papers for me and I eventually dropped out and went back to welding.

So it seems to me that PART of the problem this article raises has to do with the subject matter itself: welding is really the kind of lower level psychological function that Vygotsky talks about: typing, swimming, and playing golf. It's the kind of work which necessarily and always--regardless of the way we teach it--will keep workers in their place, and it will do this no matter how we teach it.

Because it does NOT generalize to things like mathematics, it does not (as far as I can see) lead workers any further than overhead welding. Because it does NOT involve language it doesn't really change your word meanings or your concepts (I learned welding through legitimate peripheral participation from workers who spoke dozens of different languages that I could not speak--but neither of us learned any actual word meanings from each other). And because it does NOT involve formal discipline it cannot really develop higher psychological functions.

Writing is different. Writing skills DO generalize to a vast domain of knowledge, including reading and thinking. Writing skills DO involve language and they are cumulative and recursive in a way that welding is not. Above all, writing DOES involve formal discipline, and it is in itself the external "line of developent" of cross cultural and even cross generational communication.

I often wonder if legitimate peripheral participation is really a legitimate way of communicating development, or if it is simply a method of skill learning. In my own experience, it works really well for semi-skilled labor like welding.

But I rather doubt it can take you further than that. Perhaps Mike Rose senses that, and perhaps he even means it, but he doesn't express it. Curiously, I think the reason is that although he is an excellent writer, he is not a welder.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies  .