Re: [xmca] Death and dying

This passage from Steps addresses the problem in a way that has always
impressed me. (quoted from ch5 of a book on cultural psych):

Gregory Bateson, who can be considered an expert on the topic, commented on
the difficulty of thinking relationally about context:

Let me say that I don't know how to think that way. Intellectually I can
stand here and give you a reasoned exposition of this matter; but if I am
cutting down a tree, I still think, ""Gregory Bateson is cutting down the
tree. *I* am cutting down the tree. "Myself" is to me still an excessively
concrete object, different from the rest of what I have been calling "mind."
The step to realizing, to making habitual, the other way of thinking, so
that one naturally thinks that way when one reaches for a glass of water or
cuts down a tree- that step is not an easy one. (1972, p. 462).

And maybe not a possible one. After all, it might be a world where no
differences make a difference.

mike