Re: [xmca] Historical transformations, the body, and feeling whole (again?)

Greg
The question of "feeling whole"  or "grounded" seems intimately connected
to historical ways of orienting to emotions. Bahktin's insights that words,
language, and feelings are only half ours is a fundamental re-orientation
of perspective to how we see emotions NOT as PREVIOUS to expression
but rather  embodiment WITHIN  expression.
Philosophical hermeneutics is also engaging with this dialogical
re-orientation which explores this alternative perspective that
"expression IS feeling" rather than "expression OF feeling" as if feeling
is an entity or essence or some "thing"  which exists prior TO expression.

Science, as orienting to PREVIOUS causes [as reasons for] has a bias to
search for "causes" prior to expression. This bias searches for "causes" of
"behavior" while hermeneutical descriptions explore "conduct" as
expressions that are half ours and half others.  Conduct from this
perspective requires RESPONSE which is NOT DETERMINED IN ADVANCE
[antecedent determination is a behavior interpretation] but rather response
is the expressive moment or "creative act" developed within the "gaps"
existing BETWEEN others expressions and our response [as conduct]
I would also draw attention to the centrality of "gestures" to ongoing
feelings within communication.  It has been stated that approximately one
third of our brain is devoted to "facial recognition" [see Mike Cole's
article on saccadic eye movements].  Facial recognition therefore must be
central to ongoing "primary" intersubjectivity prior to language
acquisition.  Images are FORMED within the gaps of saccadic eye movements
prior to language acquisition.  Language use within ontogenetic
development constitutes "hybrid" personalities which  develop
 within biological and cultural processes and imaginal processes transform
as language is aquired.  However, the dialogical "conduct" ["creative acts"
expressed within conduct] remain dialogical.  Science as one "type" of
conduct develops more "distanciation" and therefore the ability for
elaborate "re-presentations" of previously expressed emotionally vital
conduct [half ours and half others] and therefore allows for "types" of
self-mastery and self-assertion. However re-presentation is NOT reality
[res= things] and mistaking re-presentation and labelling it "behavior" is
a category mistake that confuses "actuality as conduct" with "behavior as
re-presentation" and then EXPLAINS this "behavior" in antecedent terms.

Greg, as I understand your thread, we are at a turning point in our
"devotion to scientism" [as theory and models; not as techne]
David K reminds me of the central "good" of science in understanding our
place in the world.  I fully agree that science "as techne" is central to
development.  However, I'm suggesting that when science as
techne colonizes theory and practical wisdom then the models or metaphors
which generate imaginal ways of understanding our sociality become
one-sided. Particular personality or character stances in the world which
negate our primary dialogical embeddedness with others lead to notions of
"behavior" as expressions OF our pre-existing  individual feelings rather
than feelings as emerging and coming INTO existence as "creative acts".

Larry