Re: Fwd: [xmca] Bruner on Vygotsky

Helen

 I have re-read your comments a number of times.
Your comments on "lending our consciousness" to the students as a way of
entering literacy is a very creative to engage dialogically with
print.  Direct instruction is far more "systematic" and PRE-programmed and
scripted.

You wrote

Despite my own enthusiasm for AL as a particular approach, I'm aware that
it's an approach that requires teachers to think hard about what they're
doing. I've seen lots of urban schools and some remote schools run great AL
programs over the past few years, but much of the remote implementation has
been somewhat mediocre, because it's demanding to implement, teachers need
hands-on support at the beginning, and we haven't had the resources to
support the schools properly. So I'm watching the Direct Instruction story
carefully to see what happens.

Helen, I wonder if there is a particular kind of support that's required.
In particular does the support need to be "face to face" dialogically
intersubjective support where "we" are sharing THIS PROJECT together. To
sustain change it seems critical to create spaces/places within each school
where there is ONGOING dialogical give and take [RESPONSES] to generate
"understanding"  How institutions support this "way" of ongoing dialogical
engagement I believe is essential to support professional growth when
moving in new directions.
Larry