Re: [xmca] Peter Smagorinsky on concepts

Larry,

Thanks for your remarks on the video.  I almost skipped replying in order
to immediately track down some info on Gadamer's notion of "shared
understanding" - but I'll look into that later on.  I see you've written
about this in another thread, and I'm intrigued...

For now, I want to touch upon your closing paragraph, which I've found very
compelling.  Building on the idea of word-meaning as "perspective-driven,"
you said that, as educators, "we should find practices where our
perspectives are explored in a spirit of fallibility and openness."

I had a professor who shared his motto with us - through song actually! -
on the first day of class: "Change my mind."  He worked hard to create
contexts where (as you've put it) "our perspectives are explored in a
spirit of fallibility and openness to having our perspectives challenged
and our presuppositions questioned," and I benefited a great deal from
that. I remember writing a major paper in the form of a script, where I was
talking over coffee with three or four theorists that we'd read in class.
This assignment was indicative of the type of perspective-hopping we'd
regularly engage in.

You also suggest that "in order to participate in these particular TYPES of
conversations requires a safe context in which to be vulnerable to having
one's particular prejudices put in 'play.'"  As a teacher, I've regularly
used in-role writing (i.e., writing *as* someone or something else) to help
students try on the perspectives of new characters and authors (and even
concepts) they meet, partly as a reading comprehension strategy.  What's
interesting, in terms of your remarks, is that such school-sanctioned
"people-hopping" also creates a safe context of trying out/on perspectives
outside one's immediate experience, by temporarily *being* someone else.
This is one type of practice that might fit the bill, I suppose.

Anthony