[xmca] Performing the World and Democratizing Diagnosis

Dear XMCA-ers,

I want to let you know about two ongoing projects I'm involved in that crossover (match, dovetail, have family resemblance to) interests among many in this group. The first has to do with performance/play as a human activity worthy of supporting people to do and needing study and contribution from CHAT. The second is the current controversy around the latest revision of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

1. I've been organizing, with colleagues in NYC and worldwide, an international conference Performing the World since 2001. The next one is October 2012. I invite you to learn more about it and consider submitting a proposal or just coming to participate.
The seventh Performing the World (PTW) conference will be held in New York City, Thursday, October 4 — Sunday October 7, 2012. International, cross-disciplinary, conversational, experiential, and practical-critical, PTW has come—over the decade—to play an increasingly important role in supporting and expanding “the performance turn” around the world. If you practice and/or study performance as a means of individual, community and world transformation (or want to), PTW is for you. The theme of the last PTW, held in 2010 and attended by over 500 people from dozens of countries, was, “Can Performance Change the World?” The depth of the challenges facing humanity two short years later have led the conveners of Performing the World to recast the question for the 2012 conference as, “Can Performance Save the World?” http://www.performingtheworld.org

2. The DSM is in the process of being revised and there's a grassroots campaign against it, led by the Humanistic Psychology division of the American Psychological Association. About 10,000 have signed it so far. There have been articles in USA Today, New York Magazine, Salon, etc. Please read my two latest blog posts for its history and my opinion of diagnosis at http://loisholzman.org and for the link to sign the petition.

Thanks,
Lois

Don't forget to check out the latest at http://loisholzman.org

Lois Holzman, Ph.D.
Director, East Side Institute for Group and Short Term Psychotherapy
920 Broadway, 14th floor
New York NY 10010
Chair, Global Outreach for All Stars Project UX
tel. 212.941.8906 ext. 324
fax 718.797.3966
lholzman@eastsideinstitute.org
www.eastsideinstitute.org