Fw: [xmca] Interpreting Leontiev: functionalism and Anglo Finnish Insufficiences

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Haydi Zulfei <haydizulfei@rocketmail.com>
To: Larry Purss <lpscholar2@gmail.com>
Cc: "xmca@weber.ucsd.edu" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Saturday, 31 December 2011, 6:00:52
Subject: Re: [xmca] Interpreting Leontiev: functionalism and Anglo Finnish Insufficiences

With a bit of corrections if this time the Internet works !

Dear Larry

You know I'm talking within the domain of the 'activity theory' , Leontevian version .

Now look how you start your response :

You collect , goal , purpose , perspective , all together . You know by 'goal'

I mean the point or focus one orients herself so that she , taking advantage of

the most comfortable 'operations' , succeeds in realizing an 'action' , a

moment of an activity . Perspective is sort of a world-view ; being conscious

of a worldview one might be involved with , takes you to the realm of the whole

personality you've got , your dealing with Nature , your dealing with social

relations , your belonging or lack of it vis a vis a SOCIAL CLASS , the whole

of your ideological stance , so on so forth . It's with respect to all these

which a NEED arises and to satisfy this need , you have to orient on a

corresponding 'object' and that 'object' in itself does not motivate you , it

should BECOME a MOTIVE of an activity . It's here that Leontiev is charged with

'passivity' ; the opponents seek to believe in a reverse process , already and

internally stuffed with kind of 'faith' , 'morality' , (maybe God Terminus

which I don't know about) , deep spring of incessantly flowing / poring out of

all kinds of motives , drives , desires , incentives , etc . just laid there .

We say one becomesacsrificial socially having passed through all

hierarchy of versatile motives until she has reached the highest step , having

tested all results of different motives (reifications) .

next :

[[ I would suggest for humans many of the "meaningful" acts are

dialogically and hermeneutically  expressed WITHIN material [artifactual]

contexts. ]]

--"meaningful" acts ====> my 'action-based meanings' . You are identifying and recognizing

the 'acts' through testifying of 'meanings' and you don't emphasize on

dialectics of processes . Then for you meanings are prior to acts and this is

against all I said . You can have your own firm belief but you cannot present

what I've said so clearly as SHELL , KERNEL , ETC. reversibly .

--are dialogically and hermeneutically expressed ====> my 'practically weighed' . You test your

'dialogues' 'hermeneutics' even the TRANSFORMATIVE ONES with PRACTICE and

results (reifications) not vice versa .

--Within material [artifactual] contexts . =====> my first/third layer (tied

to the direction you take) . I say in a dialogue either SHELLS are exchanged

====> communication lost .

or : KERNELS are exchanged =====> might lead to transformative status or

stance (Christine's reference) , a potentiality on the threshhold of ACTUAL

realization . Compare with so-called deep-hidden desires . so think Vasilyuk

takes this to the realm of the 'unconscious' .

--interactions are due ====> realm of my focus .

Then dear Larry , we should first of all distinguish our 'gaps' . Otherwise

communication is impossible .

Now I fear really more lengthening the response . however , I'll read your

message to the end for the second time .
--We use 'reification' for the end-point of an activity rather than the end-point of a 'dialogue' . The

latter acts just as an ARCHIVE .

-- [[*for example the God Terminus [as a perspective] expressing particular

social arrangements*]] ====> you put your point of departure a priori 'God

Terminus' . Then I could ask what your premises are . God Terminus , whatever ,

comes from itself ? Just falling down ? , what about evolution , history ? You

know we believe in historical socio-economic formations . We have base and

superstructure . We say in the days of feudalism with such kind of particular

social relations , the feudal class had to administer society in such and such

kinds of affairs , superstructurally leading people towards and propagating

them with such kind of worldview/ideology as God Terminus (a conjecture)

destroying all kinds of Pagan Gods as Idols putting them in an unseeable

Monotheism which could correspond and be in parallel with that kind of base and

that kind of social relations , as it could be with Capitalism , too . Then I

could conclude that , you dear Larry , with so fluent a speech and so flowing a

pen . do not really enter the main arena of discussion , you , in  fact ,

wayward it , you come with your own separate treasure-house of ideas . Then ,

you're not , in fact , responding , you're perhaps ? uni-vocally/unil-laterally

narrating your own tale (forgive) . Tired and of no especial use to continue .

We might be having readers and listeners .

I bet Larry I'm so curious with all your too lengthy message that I

whole-heartedly rule out ignoring it !

Best

Haydi

P.s. Again problems with the Internet and the copy paste process .