Re: [xmca] Frameworks for Dialogic Perspectives

Hi Greg

I apologize for mixing multiple perspectives and flowing bak and forth
between them
A quick note on semiotic remediation. this seems to be an approach which is
linking multiple distinct approaches to dialogue into what they see as a
"family resemblance" [but not coherence].  Since I am interested in notions
of dialogue I thought it was an unbrella frame that may prove helpful in
deepening the awareness of the COMPLEXITY  within this interdisciplinary
approach.

Greg, you referred me to Patchen Markell [Bound By Recognition] and so I'm
now reading his book and you were right. It is a wealth of information on
the notions of "recognition" and his concerns with the concept of
recognition as constituting the same desire and motivation for "sovereign
agency" as the alternative "contract" notion of agency and "granting
recognition" or the "voluntaristic" notion of agency as rising above our
situations and the agents free "choice".
Patchen suggests that our pursuit of recognition at root has the
same desire for the sovereign "self" through others recognizing our
"identities" [AS ANTECEDENTLY FORMED]

I brought in Gadamer as he is "recognized" as developing a dialogical
framework that is centered in "conversation" possibly leading to
"understanding".  His approach shares Patchen's perspective on "the
temporal" as fundamental for understanding and recognition.  Both scholars
resist notions of PRE-formed identity or understanding ALREADY GIVEN before
recognition or understanding.  Both focus on GENERATING novel experiences
which are the experiences forming identities/recognition.  They both
recognize our FINITUDE as ontological and the search for a sense of
"sovereign agency" as warding off this recognition of our ontological
finitude. We are fundamentally VULNERABLE to NOT being
recognized/understood and searching for "recognition" of our "identity"[as
formed] is motivated by turning away from our ontological finitude
[Patchen's language].

To emphasize that this is not "merely interactional" Patchen also connects
this "sovereign agency" as implicated to the developing formation of the
"soverign state" The values of being sovereign expressed are framed within
the same historical "perspective" which is a cultural-historical
perspective.  Gadamer rejects "private perspectives" as nonsensical. The
fusion of horizons through conversations is a fusion of cultural-historical
perspectives.

Greg, Patchen's approach is to put "acknowledgement" at the center of his
dialogical agency.  Acknowledgement of myself's own FINITUDE [vulnerability
as ontological and never to be overcome]  He also places this in a temporal
frame which rejects PRE-formed identity.  Identity is the process of
"looking back" from within dialogue.  [I'm not sure if this fits David's
calling our attention to not explainng "the same with the same"  The
perspective of "sovereign agency" at the personal & state levels [or the
notion of rights as personal and state] point to the concept of
"perspectives" as a  generative concept that may link with your inquiries.
You wrote,

"to find ways to make these kinds of conversations happen. Frankly I've
gotten about nowhere with it because it is difficult to try to figure
out how to institutionally create these kinds of possibilities. What
kinds of projects would pull rich and poor into shared projects? How
could we encourage "flows" of people and of discourse between these
highly polarized communities? How could the current infrastructure
which keeps moving towards differentiation of people be harnessed in
order to make these kinds of shared projects, and thus "talk," happen
between these different people?

This question [in school settings] is also a question I would like
answered.  The notion of "sovereign" selfs and sovereign agency [which
turns away from acknowledgeing our SHARED FINITUDE may be what stops the
conversation before it gets started.  We may have to dismantle this
perspective before we can participate in more generative practices of
reaching understanding that "see through" this perspective which rejects
acknowledging our shared vulnerability.

Larry