Re: [xmca] Update on Tony Whitson

This is really a kind of banal Chinese operatic rumination on collective monologue, dialogue proper, and the Cecil Day-Lewis poem (It's just the sort of thing I think of while I am in the gym; I don't know if it will interest Rob or try Tony's patience).

Tianxianpei is an opera in the Huangmeixi tradition. It is sung in a dialect of Anhui Chinese that hardly anyone outside Anhui understands, but the actress in this opera (Yan Fengying) sings in standard Chinese, with unmistakable MELODIES from the original dialect (and of course there are subtitles, because as I said before opera is really an artform of WRITTEN speech in China!).

Huangmeixi is a tradition that comes from a corner of richer Hubei province that borders on the famine lands of Anhui, and the theme of going out in bad times and returning home when things get better is central to every opera. In Tianxianpei this theme goes cosmic: a young goddess, the seventh fairy daughter of the Jade Emperor of Heaven, decides to revolt. She descends to earth to marry a commoner, Dong Lang, who has sold himself into slavery in order to by a coffin for his deceased father.

Together, they outwit the slave-owner (through a scheme curiously similar to Rumpelstiltskin, by spinning bad stuff into gold brocade) and win early release. And here they are returning home to the land that Dong Lang had thought he would have to sell. They sing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5mdi7wZWN8&NR=1&feature=endscreen

树上的鸟儿成双对
绿水青山带笑颜
从今再不受那奴役苦
夫妻双双把家还

你耕田来我织布
我挑水来你浇园
寒窑虽破能避风雨
夫妻恩爱苦也甜

你我好比鸳鸯鸟
比翼双飞在人间

She: See the birds on the boughs in pairs!
He: Green ponds, blue hills, smiling with leaves!
She: From today, we'll never taste forced work again.
He: Wife and husband, hand in hand, we'll have our homestead back.
She:  You shall plow the soil, and I shall weave our clothes
He:  I shall carry the water, and you shall irrigate the garden.
She: Our winter nest will be threadbare, but it will keep out the wind and rain
He: To husbandly love and wifely devotion, even bitterness shall taste sweet

(The last two lines are delivered in close, but not perfect synchrony, which is a fairly rare feat in Chinese opera, for reasons I will get to in a moment.)

She: You and I, closer than mandarin duck and drake
He: Closer than their two wings, traversing the realm of men

Yan Fengying donated the proceeds for this opera to buy a fighter jet for the Korean war (Mao donated his only surviving son--they had a very different idea of how leaders fight wars in those days). And then Yan Fengying was severely criticized during the Cult Revolt (by the Maoists, of course) for singing this paean to private life....

But is that really what it is? And what exactly is the alternative? Today on the opera channel, there was a lesson in how to sing Yuju, the opera of Henan, and they had one of the great masters of the art.

The particular aria they were singing was not actually this one. It was the kind of sketch of everyday life that I love most in opera (one of my favorite operas features a scene where a wife is trying to decide whether to cover a sleeping husband with her own--woman's--cloak that goes on for a full eighteen minutes!)

An old lady is lying in bed, it is (we are told repeatedly!) the 23rd of January, and snow is falling. The party secretary comes to give her a blanket, saying that Chairman Mao especially sent him with this, and she is moved to tears. I watched it while on the treadmill in the gym and tried to sing along. I wondered why the gym emptied out so quickly!

But it wasn't entirely my fault, you know. The master, while a brilliant performer, was a really TERRIBLE teacher. It was the kind of teaching we had in China in art school: the master performs, and then the students all perform--TOGETHER. Individual performances are for the leader, and the leader alone. Students then perform a kind of Piagetian collective monologue, neither listening to each other nor to themselves.

Our master had four students performing together. But since modulations are highly individual, the slight variations in modulation, each artistically adequate, nullified each other, and the result was insipid and colorless. The master couldn't figure out why this was, and so she kept getting the students to sing more and more expressively, and the result was flat, shrill, and vulgar.

Compare that with Tianxianpei! The couple take turns, repeating but also varying, and when they finally do sing the last two lines (about husbandish and wifely unity) together, they are ever so slightly offset, so that you can clearly hear the modulations introduced by each singer.

So it seems to me that what Cecil Day-Lewis says for dialogism between husband and wife holds even more true for teacher and student (which is, I guess, not that surprising, since he is really talking about poetry).

But when we cease to play explorers
And become settlers, clear before us
Lies the next need – to re-define
The boundary between yours and mine;
Else, one stays prisoner, one goes free.
Each to his own identity
Grown back, shall prove our love’s expression
Purer for this limitation.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies