Re: [xmca] Ingold linking "figments" of imagination and "figments" of materiality as a single ontology

Hi Mike, and others discussing solidity/fluidity.

Andy is asking us to recognize the centrality for collaborative projects to
be a meaningful response to the issues Bauman is articulating. Others in
this thread are asking what is the appropriate way of responding to the
fragmentation and ambivalence that Bauman and others are articulating.
The central issue as I see it is first to stand up and recognize what
Bauman is articulating as "liquid modernity" [and the central ambivalence
at the heart of this metaphor]  is the central crisis that we must respond
to.

However we respond, by engaging in collaborative projects, the answer must
include the in*forming of structures where "recognition of the other" is a
central core value of the emerging social imaginary.
I do have a particular concern if the collaborative projects which Andy
recommends will also develop within  in*forming structures of some
lasting "duration". If the collaborative projects themselves are formed "in
the moment" is this an adequate response to Bauman's central question of
in*forming a cultural "order" in which "recognizing the other" is the moral
compass which orients the project.
Charles Taylor and Zygmunt Bauman both have explored the concept of "social
imaginaries" which are specific historical developments.  At the heart of
each cultural order is a social imaginary that limits what can even be
expressed or made conscious.  Taylor and Bauman both see "modernity" as a
particular social imaginary that is fundamentally ambivalent is its pursuit
of "freedom" and "self-expression. This IS a basic fundamental yearning BUT
modernity pursues this yearning as a MONOLITHIC VALUE with no space/place
for imagining structures of long duration [which would limit freedom]  The
protestant reformation and the individuals individual relation to a
personal god is just one example.  Consumer society and the freedom to
choose what to OWN is another.  Freedom as the MONOLITHIC compass point
which limits alternative values in*forming collaborative projects.
[Projects which may limit my freedom]

Bauman's answer to his own question is to shatter the limits of the modern
social imaginary by generating MULTIPLE metaphorical PERSPECTIVES that call
us to respond to the cavity at the heart of our yearnings for freedom
without limits. This cavity is the world "alienation" that Bauman points to
with metaphors such as the Nazi "garden" which needs tending through
exterminating the Jews as "weeds"  His metaphor of "waste" or of "liquid
modernity" are various expressions exposing the LIMITS and ambivalence at
the heart of this particular social imaginary we refer to as modernity.

Andy, I agree that collaborative projects are the answer to Bauman's
question. The question then becomes "what particular projects?"  My
suggestion is that these projects must be able to give an answer to the
limits and ambivalence of freedom and "self-expression". I also intuitively
sense that the answers must also in*form structures of some "duration" that
recognize not only who we "are" and who we are "becoming" but also are
structures which recognize who we "were".
This may only be an expression of my own yearning or cavity at the heart of
my own personal development.  "Dependency, "dependable" and
"interdependent" as concepts and values  are limited in our pursuit of
individual freedom. There is an inherent ambivalence within these multiple
yearnings but only freedom is highly valued as a fundamental human yearning
within liquid modernity.

Larry