From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: 05 November 2011 01:38
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] dewey and perezhivanie

Continuing the sharing of my experience in reading Dewey.

In 1934, Dewey published "Having an Experience." What he describes in this essay is, in my opinion, as near to a description of perezhivanie as you are going to get in the English language. For Dewey, "experience"
is close to "activity" except that in English "activity" carries a connotation of objectivity and "experience" carries a connotation of subjectivity, but Dewey insists his concept of experience is quite different to the concept of experience found in British philosophy: it is "both doing and suffering" and "both subjective and objective" and the emotional, practical and intellectual are aspects which can be abstracted from experience by reflection and discourse, but experience itself is all these things not a combination of them.

Now, "an experience" as opposed to "experience" is an episode which has a unity, and comes to a consummation. He discusses it in the context of aesthetics (artistic production and aesthetic consumption are inseparable in an experience), because "an experience" can only be represented by an experience.

I'd be interested in hearing what others think of this essay. It is a great read in my experience.

Andy