Re: [xmca] FW: MCA on Thompson Reuters ISI list

My goodness! This is such a fun conversation to follow.

You know, one problem with any Journal of Unconditional Acceptance is that it's nearly impossible to read everything that it publishes. (I wonder: Has anyone conducted an analysis of the amount of text generated by and for xmca?) I know Andy and others have been trying to find a way to curate--not gatekeep, but curate--these discussions and make them visible (and searchable, and cite-able) to a broader audience; I haven't heard much about this in a while, though it's possible updates have passed through this listserv and I haven't seen them.

My .02, as someone peering through the other side of the looking-glass: I think it's neat (i.e., GOOD NEWS!) that MCA is moving up the credibility scale, and I think it would be even neater if MCA could find a way to pair up its increasing credibility with some sort of ~notoriety~, quite possibly through a venue other than a print journal that, regardless of where it falls on any impact index, will continue to target and reach primarily other academics. Opening up more space in MCA for provocative ideas is nice, insofar as it makes space for alternative arguments and alternative research; but it's certainly nowhere near sufficient and, may I suggest, perhaps not even necessary. The scholarly journal, as we well know, is just one way of making trouble, and goodness knows there are so many other ways as well.

~~

Jenna McWilliams
Learning Sciences Program, Indiana University
~
http://www.jennamcwilliams.com
http://twitter.com/jennamcjenna

~