Re: [xmca] meaning potential and cultural artifacts

David
Thank you for the carefully considered reply.  Firstly, let me wish you the
best for your new job.  Eight different TESOL courses is not funny, and
probably not a joy either. (I'll get some more on the side.)

As we know, people whose language is not written down (and probably
illiterate people too) have no notion of a sentence--that is a construct of
written language. And we still mess it up.  Our Bantu languages are
agglutinating and the missionaries who wrote down Zulu got this right, and
so  you get immensely long word-sentences.  The Sotho missionaries  got it
wrong and made the writing disjunctive, and so all the concords and so on
are written separately (making it much easier for me to learn).

What LSV thought a word was is a matter for speculation.  I think he meant
what we think a word is, because of its closeness to a concept. And because
the multilayered analysis (phonology, morphology, syntax,semantics,
pragmatics and discourse analysis) was not available to him then.

Have a good day David and we'll be thinking of you next week.
Carol