RE: [xmca] Re: Bladeless Knives Without Handles (David Kellogg)

Dear Professor Kellogg,
excuse me for such a long delay with my answer on your post. I was terribly busy the last days preparing documents for Italian consulate to apply for visa for ISCAR congress in Rome.
	>In that highly metaphorical sense, your name in Russian DOES "reflect" Russian-ness, just as my name in English "reflects" the fact that I am anglophone. At this very highly metaphorical level, language also has other reflective properties: for example, nouns "reflect" objects because like objects they tend to take number and sometimes gender but not tense. Stories "reflect" subjective experience because they tend to go from beginning to end as experienced rather than from end to beginning as they are heard.
Concerning “reflection” of my name, can you specify which of my names direct you at special Russian associations :-)? My family name Surmava has no Russian connotation at all because it is Georgian. My first name Alexander is Greek.  It can remind of Macedonian Alexander the Great, or of three Kings of Scotland, or of Alexander Pope – English poet, or two French novelists – father and son Duma. Surely each of us can have our own, personal associations, but I’m afraid, that such associations are reflecting nothing but abstract contingency of our personal experience and has very law objective cognitive value.
You are probably right that language is often examined from “highly metaphorical level” and looking from this “high” level the relationship between a noun and its object sometime looks like “reflection”. But can you explain what is mechanism of this reflection? Banal association between sign and its denotatum? Than what are the law and the intrinsic measure of such association? Cause except “number and sometimes gender but not tense” which are too unsubstantial and formal to be seriously taken into account?
Can we find in this association something objective, something that lies beyond our subjective will, beyond our arbitrariness, beyond convention?
And can you give a tiny hint to explain how a little child starts to reflect or idealize objective world in his/her thinking in the process of learning to use these verbal signs? Or thinking per se is not necessarily mediated with verbal or any other signs?
Rational answers on all these questions can take us very far from Vygotsky’s discourse.
According to Ilyenkov (Spinoza) thinking is nothing but acting according the shape of an object. This process (the process of thinking) doesn’t need to be mediated by arbitrary signs at all. From this perspective to say that a subject thinks means to say that this is a living, object oriented creature, or to say that this creature spontaneously acts according to the form of its objective field (по форме предметного поля).
This definition can be taken as definition of animal, or “low”, unmediated type of thinking. Nota bene: Vygotsky NEVER explains what he means as “low psychic functions”, so one can only guess, from the context of his texts that “low psychic functions” is nothing but an aggregate of mechanical reflexes which the Lord knows how are attributed as psychic.
As for mediated or “high psychic functions” (we prefer not to use the term “mental” as basically confusing) they appear on historical stage when apes started systematically mediate their life, their object oriented activity with tools (and this way they became people), and first of all with entirely tangible tools like axes, spoons, pots, ploughs, swords etc. which evidently cannot be estimated as mere arbitrary signs.
Surely implements have some symbolic quality – they represent their objects – but this representation is not something arbitrary, but entirely objective, something that fundamentally arises from their tangible form which was formed in the process of object oriented activity. Thus a bird’s wing represents air and flight and this representation, which has nothing to do with any arbitrariness, is just what Marx and Ilyenkov meant as ideal representation.
It is significant that Vygotsky stumbles along such type of representation when a child involved into the experimental game of renaming objects rejects some of such renamings. Thus he/she easily approves renaming of a chair into a train but he/she affectively rejects renaming  a lamp into a table, or a knife into a chair. Vygotsky didn’t find a better explanation of this ultimately interesting phenomenon than to say: “Experiments show that both in play and in speech the child is far from consciously realizing the relativity of the sign operation or of the arbitrarily established connection of sign and meaning” (“Tool and symbol…”). He obviously failed to take into account this phenomenon as a key to the most intimate mechanism of formation of human consciousness. So if we need an example of "semiotic dead end" we have no need to leave psychological field for Saussur’s linguistics because Vygotsky’s psychology gives us an excellent example of the same conventionalist genre.
I do think that such very strict philosophical (≡scientific) concept as “ideality” (“reflection”) is deep enough to help us understand concrete psychological phenomena (for example, the way  languages are learned). Surely if it is really strict, not vague. Thus Ilyenkov stated a fact that all attempts of training of deaf-and-blind children based on idea that a speech is nothing but combination of arbitrary signs, so that mastering of speech must start from learning by heart some signs with their meanings meet with failure. One needed several thousand presentations to establish one unstable association. And even in this case this mechanical relationship didn’t result in something that could be defined as full-fledged speech.
On the contrary if the learning process was not based on swotting up senseless signs but started with rational practical object oriented activity and mastering of such human implements as pisspot and spoon in the process of this activity, mastering of speech was significantly more successful. Moreover the same results were observed in experiments of husband and wife Gardners with chimp Wosho.  In exactly the same way as a human child the young ape mastered American sign language in the process of mastering of a cup, fork and the same pisspot.

	>I think we disagree a little bit about whether this sense of reflection can be said to be a Marxist sense. I think it can be, and my reasons really have nothing to do with modern "analytic Marxist" philosophers; I fully share your horror here. My reasons have to do with the philosophers of Vygotsky's own time, particularly Volosinov, but also with Marx and Engels themselves.

Estimating Vygotsly’s ideas as non-Marxist (I never had even a slight intention to say that he was “anti-Marxist”) I entirely share his own understanding of Marxism as mere synonym of modern and true science.
	“Marxist psychology is not a school amidst schools, but the only genuine psychology as a science. A psychology other than this cannot exist. And the other way around: everything that was and is genuinely scientific belongs to Marxist psychology. This concept is broader than the concept of school or even current. It coincides with the concept scientific per se, no matter where and by whom it may have been developed.”
So asserting that he was not a Marxist I mean that from the perspective of much more developed theory first of all  Leontiev’s Theory of activity and Ilyenkov’s Spinozian understanding of thinking we can hardly attribute Vygotsky as Marxist in the same sense as we can’t consider phlogiston theory as scientific and true when more true oxygen theory of burning is discovered.
As for Voloshinov (Bakhtin), who evidently was very close to Vygotsky in their common addiction to arbitrary signs, I should like to warn you against an attempt to take Voloshinov’s “Marxism and Philosophy of Language” at its face value. As contrasted to Vygotsky who sincerely desired to be a Marxist and to create Marxist, materialist psychology, Voloshinov (Bakhtin) was neither materialist nor Marxist. What is more he was real anti-Marxist. In this respect he was an antagonist to Vygotsky.
“Marxism and Philosophy of Language” presents an example of risqué joke. The author (all the same “Voloshinov” or Bakhtin) blatantly jeered at popular in the USSR Marxist or quasi-Marxist terminology using it in evidently senseless and ridiculous manner so that Russian and Soviet liberals had an enormous jolly reading this text and admiring the boldness  and craftiness of his mockeries. By the way in case if the real author of “Marxism and Philosophy of Language” was really Voloshinov who a little earlier was known as a partisan of Rosicrucian mystic society his “Marxism” starts to look as an exorbitant farce.
In the same time I estimate Bakhtin as original and insightful philosopher so that even as theoretic opponent he is much more interesting figure then all other advocates of arbitrary signs. Moreover I dare say that his (I join those who attribute “Marxism and Philosophy of Language” to Bakhtin) concept of “ideology” is nothing but opposite (to Ilyenkov’s) interpretation of such fundamental theoretic category as IDEALITY. It is sometimes difficult to recognize it in fool's cap  of “ideology”, but more careful analysis leaves us no choice. I repeat: Bakhtin is an outstanding scientist/philosopher though his theoretic positions are opposite and even hostile to Marxism. Respectively “Marxism and Philosophy of Language” is a serious philosophical research, it can’t be entirely estimated as a pamphlet though from time to time inaccurate usage of evidently extrinsic to his ideas (“Marxist”) terminology gives it a strong shade of self-parody.
	>Vygotsky is certainly interested in this very metaphorical, "top-down", things-into-ideas kind of reflection. Now, as you point out, this sort of reflection is no more Cartesian than it is Kantian. It has nothing to do with seeing an image in a mirror, or projecting a silhouette on a screen. It's not reflection in anything but a highly metaphorical sense, and "refraction" (Volosinov) or even "translation" would be a better metaphor.
Vygotsky was interested in this and many other “metaphors” indeed. But I’m afraid that his inclination for using metaphors was a little excessive. More mature theory prefers theoretic concepts to metaphors. Even very sophisticated.

Alexander (Sasha) Surmava