[xmca] Imaginary Friends

Gadzooks, TWO of my favorite hobby horses in one posting: Julian Jaynes and imaginary friends. I don't want to fall between two hobby horses; I get wobbly at the knees writing about even one of them

I used to think of imaginary friends as what Vygotsky referred to as a transitional neoformation: something that appears around age 7 or 8 and lasts until the the child is able to attach roles (which are functional versions of imaginary friends) to actual people (around twelve or thirteen).

Vygotsky describes it like this:

"Neoformations such as self love and self-evaulation remain, but the symptoms of the crisis (affectation, posing) are transitional. In the crisis at age seven, because of the fact that a differentiation of the internal and external develops and intellectual experience first appears, a sharp conflict of experiences also devleops. The child who does not know which candy to choose--the bigger or the sweeter--finds himself in a state of internal conflict even as he vacillates. The internal conflict (contradiction of experiences and selection of his own experiences) becomes possible only at this time." (The Crisis at Seven, in "The Essential Vygotsky", p. 494).

I still think that some imaginary friends are like this: something that comes out of the same differentiation between internal and external that gives rise to role play. Like me, the child hesitates between two hobby horses: imaginary friends and real ones.

The imaginary friend then "volatilizes" into abstract rule play and conceptual thinking (particularly the concept of "me" "myself" and "I"). Just as the child learns to rise to the concrete, by abstract away the rule from the role in instances of game play, the child learns to attach the ideal figure to the behavior of actual people. This is particularly true of imaginary friends connected with adolescent diary keeping (e.g. Anne Frank's imaginary friend "Kitty").

My wife's imaginary friend (also associated with keeping a diary), for example, was called "Yi Lin" or "One Forest". As an adolescent she later changed her name (which is the Chinese equivalent of "Jane Smith") into "Spring Thunder", and although she insists that she did this for political reasons ("Spring Thunder" has a certain Cultural Revolution ring to it in Chinese) it seems to me that it is more of a continuation of the naturalistic imagery we see in "One Forest".

But I read a book recently ("Imaginary Companions and the Children Who Create Them", by Marjorie Taylor, OUP 1999) which suggests that imaginary companions often appear MUCH earlier than I thought they did (as early as three or four years of age).

So it seems to me that they are not just reifications of imaginary play or ideal reconstructions of real people; they might be connected to the child's (very early) discovery of things like television, fiction, and the child's attempt to reproduce them in diaries (as WRITTEN self-directed speech).

("One Forest" is also a homophone of a name of a popular magazine in China which publishes translations from abroad.)

David Kellogg