[xmca] Re: expression of gratitude

Haydi
Thanks for your kind remarks and thank you for the attached article.  You
mention in your post that there are many contrasting approaches to CHAT and
some even drop the activity. Andy also suggests that Activity should be
re-focused as a concept.  However, it is Martin's approach which has given
me permission to attempt to read chat theory through a lense that also
engages with phenomenology [specifically cultural-historical forms of
phenomenology.  I would recommend you go to XMCA "papers for discussion" and
read John Shotter's way of "reading" or interpreting Vygotsky's legacy. It
is after reading Martin [who I assume is one stream of interpretation, then
reading Anna Stetsenko's work on subjectivity, and linking it to John
Shotter's work, that is the thread I'm underlining.  Fernando Rey's article
is expressing this theme of the location of "emotion" "character" "situation
of development" and SENSE as an ASPECT of Vygotsky's legacy that is focusing
on the subjective side of activity.  From Rey's perspective the Western
focus on the objective "side" of the theory is under representing the other
side of Vygotsky's legacy [the subjective].
In the spirit of "conversation" I hope you can tolerate my often going off
course. Haydi, I personally struggle with truly trying to "read" each
approach from the perspective of the other tradition [CHAT to phenomenology
and phenomenology to CHAT]  This is a particular method of "knowing" and I
hope that at some point I will have the ability to integrate the
perspectives in a way that Martin is able to articulate.
Fernando Rey makes a distinction between "internalization" OF the social as
an objective moment in Vygotsky's legacy and Fernando contrasts
"internalization" with the notion of "production" in Vygotsky's shift to
"sense".  Others may reject Rey's interpretation an
d say he is mis-representing Vygotsky, but I think this type of disagreement
is welcome in the CHAT community.  Mike suggests some on CHAT would agree
with Rey's direction and others will be strongly oppossed. Such is the
development of a LIVING legacy.

Haydi, do you disagree with Shotter's approach?

Larry