Re: [xmca] Fwd: SEcond note: John Dewey school at Towson Maryland

Quite possibly so Philip. Of course, as a student I wasn't really in the
know, and by the time I was interested in educational philosophy it was
gone. I remember asking my parents a few years ago about it all and Mum
mentioned Dewey's name, but she could have been mistaken and also wouldn't
really have been privy to all the educational decisions of the school even
though she was quite an interested and involved parent in the school's early
years. I think you are right to suggest that Summerhill was also an
inspiration although I don't think my school was ever quite as radical as
Summerhill (although students were allowed to smoke in a designated outdoor
area of the school, which at least meant that everyone else could go to the
toilet without getting lung cancer!), possibly because it was also larger
and still under some minimal constraint of the government school system.

>From my (admittedly limited) understanding of Dewey I've always thought the
principles were similar (commitment to democracy, importance of experience
rather than passive transmission of content etc). I'd be interested to hear
in what ways you think they differ.

Cheers,
Helen

Helen Grimmett