Re: [xmca] The Polls are OPEN!!

If my creaky memory serves, we did discuss non-MCA articles suggested and mainly written by list members for a long period in the late 90s / early 00s. There are or were indications of this somewhere on the MCA website. Not sure why or how it stopped.

Bruce Robinson

From: "Andy Blunden" <ablunden@mira.net>
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Friday, July 08, 2011 2:28 AM
Subject: Re: [xmca] The Polls are OPEN!!

David, I think there is a LOT of merit to taking articles posted on the LCHC for discussion as the focus of XMCA discussion. We should not do that *instead* of the one MCA article per quarter though. There is plenty of time between the quarterly publication of MCA to discuss an article on the website. We should do more of that, for the reasons you give.

Andy

David Kellogg wrote:
Mike:
I wonder if there is any way we could include "write-ins" on the ballot. People could upload manuscripts to the "Papers for Discussion" at LCHC and then these could be included in the vote. This might address several problems which seem to be dogging our quarterly discussions. a) It often happens that the articles on offer have almost nothing to do with what people have on their minds and what is being discussed on the list. b) It sometimes happens that the authors chosen for publication in the journal turn out to be more interested in being published than in being discussed and do not take part.

c) It occasionally happens that people like myself clutter up the list with long posts which really ought to be articles but which have no chance of publication, at least not in their current form. It may also be a good way of getting the writing mentorship project off the ground, and it might even return us, one small but much appreciated step, towards that pre-MCA tradition of an unrefereed and unreviewed newsletter, with writing that is unafraid to walk on the wild side.
 David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education