Re: [xmca] Units of Scientiic Achievement

Yes, well the problem, I think, with the concept of an Anthropocene epoch is that it's more than a little too anthropocentric.

What's needed is not so much an acknowledgment that humans are having a global-scale impact on the earth-system, as that global scale changes in the earth-system are going to have quite the impact on social and cultural systems.

It's not paradigm shift for the natural sciences to see one species, through its physical and chemical impact, tilting the earth-system (algae do it, photosynthetic organisms did it, etc.) What would be paradigm-shifting would be for the social and cultural sciences to admit that sociocultural systems include landscapes and climates and ecologies (as well as artifacts) and that the psyches until recently wrapped inside bodies and only now liberated to be epiphenomena of social interactions, are indeed epiphenonema of ecological-climatic-cum-social-cultural systems. This ought to be congenial particularly to a marxist social science, yet it seems quite resistant to the Latourian move, just like more orthdox bourgeois social science.

Finally, and perhaps most tellingly, a geological epoch has to last rather a long time ... far longer than our species is likely to. The anthropopause will strangle any possibility of an anthropocene in its cradle. No?

JAY.

PS. It's great to imagine that extreme change-pressure from the earth-system results in species radiations, imagining that as we tip the planetary balance we'll beget all sorts of new hominids. But the more likely result for most species under these conditions is extinction. The cockroaches may radiate, but I wouldn't count on the primates.

Jay Lemke
Senior Research Scientist
Laboratory for Comparative Human Cognition
University of California - San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, California 92093-0506

Professor (Adjunct status 2009-11)