Re: [xmca] fetishism | word meaning

On 9 June 2011 20:22, Joseph Gilbert <joeg4us@roadrunner.com> wrote:

> Dear All:
>
> I do not intend to offend, however faced with the choice in front of me of
> withdrawing from this forum or of sharing my perspective on spoken language,
> I choose the later. If one is passionately pursuing understanding, one,
> above all else, looks for the causes of whatever one is seeking to
> understand. I am not interested in participating in pointless chit-chat as a
> social activity/exercise. And I am not much interested in what others who
> came before have said about my subject of interest, if their pronouncements
> do not facilitate my own understanding. I have found the information I wish
> to share only by focusing on the fundamental causative forces that produced
> spoken language.

       If those I would like to share my findings with would be more
> concerned with delving into the matter before us, and be willing to
>  sincerely look for answers, than they are to maintain and defend their
> assumed position, I believe a genuine dialog could take place. Rarifying the
> discussion by unnecessarily complicating the search for clarity creates a
> false aura of expertise around those who are initiated into the lingo, and
> seems to enable them to establish and protect their status as gate-keepers
> for the ivory-towered dispensers of "truth".

xmca is an extension of a (scientific) journal, mca.  Here be scientists and
scholars.  A well meaning and thoughtful bunch, mind you.  However, to avoid
being inflicted with help, some precision is required.  If you want to
increase the chances of a particular kind of answer, or dialogue, you'll
need to ask a particular kind of question/request.

Huw