From: Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 22:57:55
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity<xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Cc: <lchcmike@gmail.com>; Mary van der Riet<vanderriet@ukzn.ac.za>
Subject: Re: [xmca] CHAT-AR: Seth's Table

No, no, Mike, of course you don't have to know anything about AT in order to engage in joint activity, etc.. I am saying that if want to solve the complex mix of problems around how to collaborate under the range of difficult imbalances of power etc., and other problems raised by interventions and participatory research, and so on, then, as theorists I think we nee to clarify what we mean by "an activity." Otherwise I think AT cannot help us in this situation. People outside of this reflective framework, when posed with or posing "participation" are going to ask questions like: "OK, what we are going to do then? What are you trying to achieve?" and so on.

 Andy

 mike cole wrote: Mary/Andy--

 Right, Mary. One has to include the question WHOSE moral imperative.

 Do you think that the issue of who initiates interaction is relevant?

 Andy-- Your comment about needing to know what an activity is in AT terms in order to engage in joint activity among groups of the sort contemplated here puzzles me. Why?

 Mike

 PS- Locally we have been using the term, ,"observant participation" to characterize involvement with the folks we work among and with.