Re: [xmca] Learning through peripheral participation in XMCA

Hi David Kirshner and Carol

I thought I would try to ask a simple question which my post on
methods/methodology was circling around  Hayden Whyte wrote a book called
"The Content of the Form".  In the book he explored 3 forms of historical
writing.  The annals [a list of dates and an event listed beside each date.
The 2nd form was the chronicle and the 3rd form was the historical narrative
[with a beginning, middle and end.]  Hayden's question asks if the FORM
[irrespective of the events described] represents a particular type of
consciousness. In other words does the form generate particular types of
content irrespective of events or experience.  How we come to understand
particular experiences and events partially depend on the form of knowledge
which informs our inquiry.

I extended Hayden's question to reflect on the forms of knowledge/knowing in
Aristotle's 3 part framework as possibly historically specific distinct
types of knowledge as reflecting distinct forms.  Then I speculated on how
various scholars such as Marx, Vygotsky, Gadamar, and Stetsenko may be
exploring a topic with common roots in Ancient Greece and extending the
interpenetration of the 3 forms of knowledge  into our current debates.

Finally, I brought in Anna Stetsenko as she seems to be a scholar who is
asking similar questions and is deeply versed in dialectical methods but
also well read in  other sociocultural perspectives and also points to
ethical/moral or ideological forms of knowledge as the ultimate ground for
informing theory.

Finally, I've used David Kirsch's question about developing dispositions as
the purpose of education from a sociocultural perspective [and in particular
Anna Stesenko's notion of inquiry as grounded in a transformative activist
stance as a conscious change of form in our historical development.

Larry

I'm not sure if that helps to put in context where my reflections have been
wandering