From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2011 8:47 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [xmca] Interests and tendency during adolescence

Is there anyone who has looked into this idea of "interest" in the
development of the adolescent? I have started reading Volume 5 of the LSV CW
and the first chapter is very interesting. I have not come across exactly
this idea before. He says: "a transformation of tendency into interest is
the true key to the problem of the transitional age." His argumentation
leading to this conclusion rings very true, to my ears. Is there anyone on
the list who has worked further with this idea of "interest." So much of
this chapter is quotation of other authors, it is not 100% clear which ideas
Vygotsky embraces. But it seems that upbringing shapes a person according to
tendency (with habits etc.) but then the adolescent appropriates from their
environment interests which form the basis of their adult personality, not
extinguishing the tendency acquired by upbringing, but distinct from it.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
Joint Editor MCA: http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/title~db=all~content=g932564744
Home Page: http://home.mira.net/~andy/