Re: [xmca] Transhistorical or embodied

Larry:

Pardon my clumsy writing. Believe it or not, the point I was trying to make was almost identical to the one that Professor Kotik-Friedgut is trying to make on the thread next door (see "nonverbal representations").

Professor Kotik-Friedgut's quotation says that in verbal thinking the relationship of thought to word may be described as causal. An obvious example is what is happening in your mind when you read this message. The actual written sentences (and the "voice" you apparently hear in your head) is a form of speech. It's a lot faster than spoken speech because it is at least partially disembodied, but you do not experience it as hurried because it is atemporal.

It is organized spatially rather than temporally but the mind can easily recode it in a nontemporal (that is, transhistorical) mode, in much the same way that a blind person who has never actually seen an elephant can nevertheless describe it perfectly well and even mentally rotate the image. Minds are good at this.

But written speech, whether organized spatially (read silently) or temporally (read aloud) is speech, not inner speech. It is what my mind is doing when you read. What YOUR mind is doing is a little different. You are asking questions ("Am I?").  For example, you are looking for examples. ("For example?") And you are getting asnwers, hopefully, by reading the next sentence.

These litttle interstitial questions, reduced in syntactic form to what Vygotsky calls pure "predication" (what Halliday calls somewhat more precisely "mood") ARE examples of inner speech, and they are YOUR inner speech and not mine. But they are nevertheless related--caused by--speech, by my speech. That is what makes them VERBAL thinking.

I think that is also what differentiates them from, say, Einstein's nonverbal images, so well described in Professor Vera John-Steiner's book "Notebooks of the Mind". Einstein's "nonverbal" images (e.g. of straddling a train which is going at the speed of light and looking at a stationary clock) are INDIRECTLY dependent on speech (e.g. on the concept of "train" and "clock" and on the syntax of equations) but they are not DIRECTLY so. These images are not so much nonverbal as transverbal, and in that sense they are not ahistorical but transhistorical, consequences of history but their specific nonverbal  manifestation is not a direct consequence of their verbal history.

My clumsy example of Kim Yuna was also supposed to demonstrate this: the concept of "han" that she was communicating in her performance (both directly, deliberately, and inadvertantly,nonvolitionally) is a thoroughly Korean concept (although the roots of the concept are actually Chinese). Nevertheless, she is able to communicate it to non-Koreans.

(At this point in my writing I became distracted, as President Obama says, by a carnival barker, and began to vituperate against narrowly biological cognitivism (e.g. Johnson-Laird) and behaviorism embodied as embodied cognition. Of course there is something going on in Yuna's brain when she dances, just as there is in mine, and of course the concept of "han" cannot be found in either place. But nobody was saying otherwise.)

Vygotsky (and before him Uznadze) made the point that thet specific acts of thinking that underly a word like "han" may be quite different. What does infinite sorrow mean to the finite experience of the child? But there is a common object reference (Kim Yuna, her expression, her performance), and so children and adults can communicate, sleeping on the same verbal bed (the word "han") but dreaming different dreams.

Vygotsky says that this is how the child builds, inside an adult word, a purely childish, complexive content. And I think Lakoff's prototypes are made of essentially the same stuff. This explains why prototypes are not transhistorical. They are not, actually, concepts at all.

(Incredibly, Kim Yuna came in second place, after a far less meaning-laden performance by a Japanese skater. So Yuna really did lose the contest in that first near-fall. But she didn't lose the content--quite the contrary, her near fall and recovery objectively added a layer of "han" to the one that she had subjectively planned and intended.)

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education