Re: [xmca] activity (was concepts)

On 23 April 2011 21:48, Vera John-Steiner <vygotsky@unm.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have been thinking about this distinction between act and product.

Hi Vera,
I have generalized my response to process and form.

> It seems to me that the process is primary but of course if it were not
> engaged with some more stable aspects of our reality, it would ethereal. So
> we move, constantly betweenrapid change, slow change, and tempory entities
> which reveal  no dsicernable change.

I need a bit more context here please, Vera.

One way to think of the process/form distinction is the distinction between
verb phrases and noun phrases (I'm sorry if this is "teaching to suck eggs",
as I was a bit surprised by the "blank looks" from a few responses to this
stuff).  That is, verb phrases describe systems of action and noun phrases
described systems of form.  Hence when using a gerund, e.g. the noun
'learning' in "I like learning", we are referring to the classification of
acts of learning which, to us, is a system of form, as opposed to instances
of learning which is a system of process.  For me this has bearing upon
language learning (and use) in infants.

As far as I can see, the process/form distinction only makes sense if we
apply it in the context of agency (i.e regulatory systems).   If we have a
series of interacting processes and forms:  P- F - P - F - P there is
nothing to stop us thinking of this as F - P - F - P - F other than our
treatment of Form as encoded as a static thing.  Even the noun 'process' as
in "the process" refers to a thing whose identity does not change with
respect to the context of use.

> But we do know, that if we think along a long time-scale "products" too
> will be processes. This is why I am not afaraid to use the notion of
> concept.

For me, the most useful notion of concept is concept-as-model.  It's not
clear to me why it's useful to have a technical  name for something that is
both concept-as-model and some other meaning without having a unique term
for concept-as-model.

> Those are minimally changing processes within a particular activity system.

Sorry, I didn't take your reflections any further.  An example might help me
here.

> All this may have been said before, but we are still exploing
> concept-activity so this brief message may be relevant.

Yes.

Thanks,
Huw