From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 10:58 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] activity (was concepts)

Huw:

Please explain to me how someone can "wield a concept"?  I am not even
sure about the expression "grasp a concept".  When there is a word that is
generalized to the extent of; hmmm....let's pick moon; it is not a
decisive tool of distinction but rather, as LSV points out, "word meaning
is the elementary cell that cannot be further analyzed. . . it is the
unity between thought and word"   We cannot say that our earth has THE
moon.  But in conversation we can state, "The moon is out and bright
tonight."  I can provide a crowd with my moon but perhaps get arrested and
a smiling cherub of a child could display their moon of a face.   IMHO
moon's word meaning is the concept present in these thoughts and words.
Not something weilded or grasped but perhaps active?

what do other's think?  bill blanton or bill borowy out there?

eric