Re: [xmca] sense and sensibility

Hi David

You suggest that concepts are processes [not products] and therefore
conceptualization is a matter of locating a particular act of thinking in
relation to other acts of thinking.  The step from concepts to *activity* is
a step too far.  Conceptualization is done through thematic relations.
As an example you suggest an *auxiliary stimuli* such as a knot [material]
that assists memory is NOT similar to USING a word such as *camel*  as a
trigger to remember *death*.  It is a separate semiotic nexus of relations
where *camel* generates a micro narrative that creates a little PICTURE
[image] of the semantic relationship.

 [Hope I read this as you lead me to receive this idea]

However, as your metaphor of TV sets [as physical states] suggests you are
suspicious of relating meaning back to embodiment.  As I struggle with
Lakoff, Johnson, and others pointing to the foundation of  conceptual
development back to embodied PERCEPTIONS and SENSATIONS [sensorimotor] and
relate their narrative of development with yours there seems to be a tension
in what is foundational.  However, if the ORIGINS of primary metaphors
[part/whole; container; etc] start from a sensorimotor ground and link
PRIMARY metaphors from sensorimotor TO conceptual THEN the NOVEL
relationships BETWEEN the sensorimotor and the *conceptual* can generate
hybrid sensorimotor/conceptual nexus of meanings. From these first
developmental accomplishments of relating embodiment and conceptual into
PRIMARY metaphors the building blocks for further relating of these PRIMARY
metaphors [as building blocks or prototypes] to *cultural-historical
narratives of cognition are possible.  Primary metaphors, as prototypes may
be foundational for the *little pictures* or *images* that are generated or
emerge in metaphorical constructions which link up in our nexus of thinking.

Now, if my speculations are plausible, the possibility exists that EMBODIED
cognitions are a subset of conceptual activity.  There are also multiple
other ways that more complex conceptualization may be entirely semiotic BUT
in the developmental narrative embodiment as a concept must continue to be
in relationship to semiotic meaning.

[I do not have the background knowledge to be sure if my reading of primary
metaphor [as prototypes] is an accurate rendition of Lakoff and Johnson's
perspective but I suspect embodiment and cultural/historical nexus of
meanings can be linked.

David, your comment that the step from concepts to activity is a step too
far is intriguing.  I'm still struggling *to grasp* the distinctions that
various people on CHAT have towards *concepts*, *activity*, and *embodiment*
but as I listen in to how each of you try to link up your particular
perspectives I benefit from the discourse.

Larry