[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [xmca] A Modest Proposal for Intergenerational Assistance
- To: Teresa Hallam <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [xmca] A Modest Proposal for Intergenerational Assistance
- From: mike cole <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:19:29 -0700
- Cc: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:reply-to:in-reply-to:references :from:date:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type; bh=Z8vjuSMDgkrqYlJj6KEyG4VT9m5IMPMFzNdPfRK2MKw=; b=WgqTpsJWNeP5xFdZiGIbF9Zbk84j83JeZmZ7IKWBOqCVvjFBTPQDdv/GSYsbAfGhey bwjbpWBck1o+U974ZIKl+J8MElOaErez/lA4phWrn4XxAdG4vK3kWJO+lnwXmZ39AXUn jdsizzFrWaZaE/284mrQXz7no5ze22rI6UqNs=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:reply-to:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id :subject:to:cc:content-type; b=rt2QqHxx9ZTnSdlB3kR2JNo78CaNIwart0qjiWD9D++bGwfWCaGRyowIUrwHgX8j9D a9hHxPfoLf31WFcYc1wxYu9+BuzjpaM/WN9xd03QsgVYYaARvOhuDcYUCt5kR1PRflCR 9TP2M3z3IKnmv4RgFKIoO7HKwtFcKAhIHOxJc=
- In-reply-to: <000301cc003a$2badb7d0$83092770$@com>
- List-archive: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca.weber.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <BANLkTi=-3L0a60OYUi=Zz2ctbdFrYndqqQ@mail.gmail.com> <000301cc003a$2badb7d0$83092770$@com>
- Reply-to: email@example.com, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
Success, of course, will depend upon how many senior people are willing to
sign on.... but in any event,
here is the address as per the original note.
If you are interested, please respond to Tamara Powell,
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Teresa Hallam <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> Great idea! What is the next step to get it going?
> Terri Hallam
> -----Original Message-----
> From: email@example.com [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org] On
> Behalf Of mike cole
> Sent: Monday, April 18, 2011 11:35 AM
> To: eXtended Mind, Culture,Activity
> Subject: [xmca] A Modest Proposal for Intergenerational Assistance
> Dear XMCA participants.
> I have consulted with several senior colleagues who are game for the
> (In what follows I am speaking as a member of the ill-defined "older
> generation" at XMCA)
> I have been thinking over the problem of what help the more senior members
> of XMCA, those with secure jobs, can provide for our students and junior
> colleagues who are caught in this very difficult historical moment.
> general advice that we might give, the fact is that we could not deal any
> better with current circumstances if we were just starting out now.
> The one thing we have a lot of experience doing is helping young scholars
> develop their ideas in writing so that they can get their work published.
> can also offer practical advice about methods, relevant literature, etc. In
> short, we can do the kind of mentoring that many of us do daily, locally.
> But can't we also do it xmca-wide?
> I propose that we create a list serve, associated with XMCA, where a group
> of elders (those with secure jobs) and a group of those still struggling
> toward secure work in academia can pair up for purposes of advice on a
> of junior writing, starting with thesis proposals. Participants might wish
> to organize sub-networks -- many refinements are possible.
> We do not have all the mechanisms worked out for such an
> academic support system. But we have built a placeholder in the
> to-be-released new LCHC home page for an enabling platform. The roll out of
> the new page is a few weeks away, but that need not stop us from finding
> who is interested, what generational group they prefer to be identified
> with, and perhaps two lines about areas of interest/"expertise.". We can
> collate that info into a data base and use it to create a handy dandy new
> cultural practice.
> If you are interested, please respond to Tamara Powell,
> She will do the collating and report back about who wants to be involved
> how. Then we will take the next practical steps for people to link up.
> I am traveling and only have spotty email contact but will stay abreast of
> this endeavor.
> xmca mailing list
xmca mailing list