Re: [xmca] Culture of Poverty, not reduxed enough

Mike:

I think as with anything that is brought back it always provides a
different picture the second time around.  Being a movie fan I think
Apocalypse Now Redux when I hear that word and provided a director's cut
of the movie gave me a new perspective on what the original message that
Coppala intended.  The article you link does provide a different
perspectives of poverty then the one touted by Moynihan, however, I have
always failed to grasp the significance of referring to a "culture of
poverty".  Perhaps you have time perhaps you don't to help me to unwrap
the significance of stating a "culture of poverty" as important to
studying human development and human communication.  I have attended Ruby
Payne seminars and what she refers to I believe have more to do with
social structures, registers and domains rather than culture.  I have to
admit at this point that the word "culture" has been thrown about in so
many different ways that I have lost meaning of the word.  I believe I
understand your position on the issue but perhaps you could clarify for my
own muddied mind.

thank you,
eric