RE: [xmca] Ways With Words

Dear David Kellogg,

Thanks for pressing me on the habituation/enculturation distinction--particularly with respect to my assertion that some domains of activity are "precisely defined and hence subject to being learned as a skill, outside of cultural context," whereas others are not. As you point out, my notion of "precisely defined" is far from precisely defined.

This is a tough distinction to draw clearly; my delay in responding has largely been taken up with working it through.

To begin, the idea of a distinction between a skill and a "disposition" (my word for a cultural practice requiring cultural context to learn) is something that comes to me from educational practice. The genres approach is my attempt to untangle the coherent threads of pedagogical intention that all too often are tangled up within our integrative discourse about good teaching--a discourse that takes "learning" to be a complex and multifaceted construct rather than recognizing the discrete metaphors for learning that actually drive our pedagogical interests.

Let me give a quick example to illustrate the distinction between skills and dispositions before attempting to characterize it analytically. For the past 3 decades, mathematics educators have been interested in promoting an agenda of non-routine problem solving competence in K-12 math students. Back in the 1930s and 1940s a distinguished Hungarian mathematician, George Pólya, had undertaken to explicate problem solving expertise and arrived at a set of heuristic questions that mathematicians tend to ask themselves to enrich their exploration and solution of difficult problems. What's important about these heuristics is that they are rules-of-thumb rather than algorithmic rules. Pólya recognized the context sensitive nature of these rules, and his own pedagogy always sought to engage students in the context of working on actual non-routine problems. Observing students, he would ask himself aloud the kinds of heuristic questions native to actual mathematical practice that would usefully arise at the point in problem solving that the student had reached. In this way, he was very successful in inculcating these powerful practices of self questioning.

Unfortunately, the enculturationist character of this pedagogical practice escaped most mathematics educators taking up Polya's heuristics in the 1980s. Textbooks were written that listed out Polya's heuristics and provided exercises in which each heuristic could be practiced over and over, one at a time. In this way, Polya's teaching of heuristics as cultural practices was replaced by a decontextualized pedagogy of skill development, one that failed to promote anything resembling the sought after expertise in non-routine problem solving.

Despite having many such examples that differentiate skills from dispositions, making an analytic distinction remains a daunting challenge. This is because none of the traditions of inquiry in psychology that address learning in these distinct senses cares to participate in the drawing of strong analytic boundaries. Rather, I argue from a Kuhnian perspective, the trajectory for research in the various subfields of psychology is always outward from locally coherent intuitions and instances toward embracing varied phenomena of learning being explored by theorists in other camps. It is only along this trajectory that psychology ever can hope to become paradigmatic, that is unified around a single perspective. In this respect, the work I do in attempting to establish firm analytic boundaries between notions of learning as "habituation of skills," "construction of concepts," and "enculturation of dispositions" is a kind of guerilla research--I call it crossdisciplinary research--that draws on psychological theory, but at the same time resists its integrative tendencies.

I draw on two theoretical traditions to help understand how skills are learned, and each can provide some guidance toward demarcating skills from dispositions. Behaviorism is one such tradition, and it is distinguished by its claims of scientific objectivity: a restriction of its interests to stimuli and responses that are objectively characterized and measurable. However, criticisms of the putative objectivity of behavioral theory go back to the early days for associationist psychology. For example Meiklejohn (1908) complained that the objectivity of stimuli is misleading: “Think of learning to drive a nail with a yellow hammer, and realize your helplessness if, in time of need, you should borrow your neighbor’s hammer and find it is painted red” (p. 126). The point, here, is that even as "objective" a stimulus as a hammer can be ambiguous with respect to how it is mentally represented.

Despite such criticisms, over the next 50 years behaviorist rhetoric increasingly extolled the importance of scientific "objectivity" even as behaviorists ventured further and further from the "natural" domain of habituationist learning to address behavior that is not simply constrained by environmental factors. The culmination was Skinner’s (1958) efforts to extend the analysis of behaviorism to verbal behavior famously beaten back in Chomsky’s (1959) book review. Skinner claimed, for example, that the response "beautiful" elicited by the stimulus of seeing a painting must be under "stimulus control." However, Chomsky convincingly argued that Skinner's analysis was entirely post hoc, without any explanatory or predictive value.

This sets the stage for localizing the domain of habituation learning to instances in which specific response repertoires can be seen as elicited by specific stimuli. Still, how one characterizes "specific" remains much in need of clarification. I turn to the Implicit Learning paradigm of cognitive psychology for further guidance. Study of implicit learning was initiated by Arthur Reber (1967) who demonstrated that when one organizes a set of stimuli according to a complex grammar, subjects will acquire competencies related to the grammar despite being unaware, consciously, of any organizational structure to the data they are observing. A particularly nice example comes from Lewicki, Czyzewski, & Hoffman (1987) who asked subjects to find the single instance of a particular alphanumeric character from among a large array of other characters. In repeated trials in which the target character is randomly repositioned in the array, subjects quickly achieve their minimum average rate of retrieval, r. This has to do with the average time it takes to scan the whole array, given the random placement of the target. Next, unbeknownst to subjects, Lewicki and his team manipulated the location of the target character, placing it in a specific quadrant of the display according to a bizarrely complex rule: For the first trial, the placement was random. For the second trial, the placement was again random, but excluding the quadrant of the first trial. Based on these first two randomly located choices, the next three were precisely determined. For example, if the first two were in quadrants I and IV, respectively, this would determine the placement of the next 3 as say in quadrants II, II, and IV in that order. However, if the initial two random placements were in quadrants III and II, respectively, then a different placement would occur for the next 3, say in quadrants IV, II, and I in that order. After the first five trials, the pattern would repeat, starting with a new first and second random placement, determining the following 3 placements according to the rule. Over hundreds of trials in which the location of the target was determined by this rule, Lewicki et al. found that r, the best rate that can be achieved if the location of the target character is truly random began to decrease for items 3, 4, and 5 in the sequences of 5 items. In other words, subjects were coming to anticipate the location of these items. In debriefing after the study, subjects indicated no awareness that the placement of the target was anything but random, or that their performance regularly was better on some items than on others.

The implicit learning studies indicate something for us about the nature of habituated learning, and the preconditions needed to elicit it. Habituated learning is the forging of unconscious connections between input stimuli and output responses through repetition. In terms of cognitive mechanisms, we don't really need to regard the learning of dispositions as inherently different from the learning of skills. Rather, the distinction rests on an educational question: What kinds of competencies can be facilitated by setting up regimes of practice; what kind require actual cultural context to acquire the needed experiences. As an example, let's take the quintessential American skill of hitting a baseball with a bat. The first precondition for being able to classify this as a skill rather than a disposition is the unproblematic character of the stimulus set. Having a baseball coming toward one while holding a bat over one's shoulder is unproblematically a distinct and identifiable experience. What is more, we can establish regimes of practice for this experience in a batting cage with a pitching machine. One doesn't need to acquire the experiences in the context of an authentic baseball game. Note that the key point here is not that the stimulus set is "objectively definable." Rather it is subjectively experienced as a distinct phenomenological situation.

What is it that actually constitutes the skill of hitting a baseball with a bat? This is murky territory. Presumably pitches coming in at different speeds, from different angles, and in different parts of the strike zone require a somewhat different configuration of motor responses. To set up regimes of practice, we don't have to figure all of this out explicitly. However, we do have to meet a second precondition in order for skills to develop through repetitive experience: a reliable feedback system in the form of a metric of the success of one's response. For example, in the case of hitting a baseball, whether one has or has not hit the ball is immediately apparent. As well, when one does hit the ball, one experiences the success of the hit in the organization of various percepts including the sound produced by the hit, the angle the ball takes after being hit, and the feel of the bat when the ball is well hit versus poorly hit. Putting this all together, we can classify hitting a baseball as a skill that can be practiced rather than a disposition that needs to be acquired in cultural context.

Let's run some of our other examples through this system of evaluation. The Lewicki experiment for the development of competence in scanning for a target letter on a screen laden with distracters is a skill. The stimulus set is cordoned off from other experience because it only occurs in the setting of Lewicki's lab when one is sitting down at a computer and presented with an array. What is more, the response latency--how long it takes to respond--is an automatically monitored variable that we humans--for whatever reason--are spontaneously interested in minimizing. Thus the two conditions are met. Note that if we wanted to train a pigeon to acquire this skill, we would have a problem with the second condition, the pigeon might not monitor response latency, and/or might not be independently motivated to optimize it. In this case, we would likely set up a reward system, say food pellets, that accrues to (what we see as) desired performance. Much of the behaviorist shaping of behavior is creation of artificial feedback systems designed to keep the subject attending to the right feedback variables.

Next let's turn to the example of Pólya's heuristics as related to competence in solving non-routine problems. First, the condition of being an unproblematic category of experience is met. We have no difficulty distinguishing when we are working on a non-routine math problem. However, problems do arise in the feedback system. Different situations of problem solving call for different heuristic questions. In this respect, problem solving is no different than hitting a baseball, different pitches call for different swing responses. The difference is that whereas the feedback in hitting the ball is instantaneous and reliable, the efficacy of selecting one heuristic question over another is delayed and unreliable. Not all problems are solvable, so missing doesn't give good feedback. And the efficacy of solution approaches includes much more than whether or not one has made a good choice of heuristic questions. In short, the whole dynamic of problem solving is too open-ended to yield to habituationist methods.

We're now in a position to analyze the effectiveness of Pólya's enculturationist approach against the failure of habituationist approaches presented by many textbook authors who provided repetitive practice in the various heuristics. As noted above, Pólya's method involved asking himself aloud heuristic questions useful at the point in the solution reached thus far by the student. Deploying these questions, herself, the student comes to experience success in the solving process sufficiently often for the feedback loop to have effect and needed connections established between problem-situation and heuristic question. The reason habituationist repetitive practice was ineffective is because there's no way to codify the subtle connections among problem types and heuristic questions as would be needed for successful habituationist instruction. Returning to the opening challenge, David, it is in this sense that competencies need to be "precisely defined" in order to yield to habituationist methods. I think a very similar analysis could be given for the example of politeness we were discussing. In general, politeness is too context sensitive to yield to habituationist learning methods, yet one can certainly pull out specific practices, such as correct wedding protocols, and teach them in a habituationist fashion.

This probably is enough said for now on the topic of skills versus dispositions. But I do want to reiterate the renegade nature of this kind of psychological theorizing. Examining the Implicit Learning literature, one finds the simple explanation I've offered here of the non-conscious character of the learning process to be largely discredited. After Reber introduced his first startling and compelling studies beginning in 1967, it took nearly 20 years before other psychologists paid any attention to it (Berry, 1997). When psychologists finally decide to pay attention, it was with a remarkable degree of resistance to the idea that implicit learning could be completely segregated from explicit knowledge. Berry’s (1997) edited volume, How Implicit Is Implicit Learning, and Frensch & Cleereman’s (2002) Implicit Learning and Consciousness show the range of opinion on the matter. Critics of the fully implicit character of implicit learning have gone to extraordinary lengths to document trace aspects of conscious awareness connected with implicit learning studies. In fact, this complexity of explanation is now embraced by Reber himself:

"As for the disputes about how implicit implicit knowledge is, you make the same mistake that almost everyone else makes. We do not and should not insist that all the apparent knowledge in these experiments is unconscious. Only that there is more that is 'known' implicitly than can be articulated --- and that this knowledge results in behaviors that cannot be understood purely by examination of consciously held representations." (Reber, September 17 2008, personal communication)

I do wonder if this resistance reflects preparadigmatic angst at the possibility of separate constructions of learning.

David Kirshner