From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Ana Marjanovic-Shane
Sent: 30 December 2010 05:58
To: lchcmike@gmail.com; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Re: Imitation and Creativity

Dear all,

How can I resist answering when Mike calls with a particular question?

OK -- Lois wrote:
> "Children do not imitate anything and everything as a parrot does,  rather
> what is beyond them developmentally speaking and yet present in their
> environment and their relationships."

I would say that we have many different forms and purposes of imitation. Some of them are not conscious: tone of voice you use may resemble your parent's and siblings. I know whole families where it is hard to tell who answered a phone for quite a while in conversation -- even though there is quite a difference in age. People also imitate gestures -- I would say not consciously or purposefully. When my younger son started school, he would come home and talk with gestures of his teacher -- it was absolutely hysterical. But he did not "imitate" her -- he just soaked her idiosyncrasies.
So there is a kind of "mimicry" in the way we "get" important communicational tools - on the quite sensory-motor level. Not even to mention accents -- that immediately identify you with a certain group (even when you yourself cannot hear them).
This alone is a very interesting aspect of development, especially in the light of the relatively new discoveries coming from Diana Deutsch about the connection between speech and music (http://www.radiolab.org/2007/sep/24/): with the fascinating discovery that almost 75% of people who peak tonal languages (like Mandarin) possess an absolute pitch, something considered to be a rare talent among us, speakers of non-tonal English (Russian, Serbian, French, Greek or other Indo-European languages)

But I think we were more interested in another type of imitation -- something that goes on with consciousness, maybe even reflection? Imitation that Peter was describing, and that Mike summarized as:

"So imitation is actually a constructive process, and so, I think, is
relevant in discussions of the ZPD in that it is relational, involves
adjustment, is reciprocal, involves new constructions, relies on
intersubjectivity, and so on. Just as the ZPD is often characterized as a
flat, one-way instructional process moving easily from here to there,
imitation can be pretty static. But not if the act of imitation is part of a
more complex process of appropriation."

It seems like a waist to imitate if it still entails constructing a novel behavior for yourself anyway! -- Why not just go ahead and do it your own way instead of imitating?
When we were kids, my brother and our friends, we used to imitate each other in order to laugh, and then we would end up imitating each other's laughters, and laugh even more. We would  laugh until we could not breathe any more and end up on the floor! That is what we though of imitation.

Ana: That is what we though of imitation!
Ana's brother: "That is what we thought of imitation!"
Ana: Stop it! Don't imitate me!
Ana's brother: "Stop it! Don't imitate me!"
Ana: Stop!
Ana's brother: "Stop!"
Ana: Zzzzzzz!
Ana's brother: "Zzzzzzz!"
Ana: "I AM AN IDIOT"
Ana's brother: ""I AM AN IDIOT""
Ana: Hah! You said it right!!
Ana's brother: "Hah! YOU said it right!!"
Ana: - - - - - - - - -
Ana's brother: - - - - - - - -
(and so on) -- we leave this scene now -- back to our laboratry.

I want to say that play is too often seen as "imitation" -- when in fact it is a commentary on someone's behavior -- ways of saying something about that behavior, making an opinion, and provoking someone's reaction. But to make that opinion, to be absolutely sure what you are actually saying about it, you have to "do it for yourself", to live into it, to see it from inside. Kind of "see how it feels".

I will never forget a friend of mine who was actually much younger than me. She used to play being a teacher to all her dolls and stuffed animals. She would put them all on a couch, and then stand in front of them and talk to them exactly the way her (and much earlier mine) teacher used to talk to students. The gestures, the tone of voice, and what she would say to the bears and Barbies, was almost exact! -- but at the same time it was a presentation with a critique -- like a good caricature that uncovers more about the person or a situation, that the original.

I think that, imitation as explicit copying to learn happens only in situation of direct coaching -- of skills that can be learned like that: how to throw a ball, or how to knit or something very visible that can be dissected in parts and shown. Even then, it is never a direct copy.
I don't think that we develop by such kind of learning. Although we can develop some rather defined skills. That may be useful for development, but needs to be somehow put to work.

Creative imitation, as Lois called it, and as I tried to describe it a little bit above, is imitation with a purpose other than copying. And that other purpose -- whatever it is (I have several candidates) -- is something developmental.

What do you think?

Ana

Dr. Ana Marjanovic-Shane
Assistant Professor of Education