Re: [xmca] Might we pause to consider? Imitation and the Zoped

I do not know the work of Doug Fisher, Phillip. could you give a ref?  The
way he sees shifting responsibility for "getting the whole task done" in the
diagram resonates with a lot of my own experience, although.

What strikes me as most significant about your characterization of the
processes involved, is that it makes clear that teaching in a zoped requires
that the teacher as well as the student develop. I was talking with the
adult son of a former colleague of mine yesterday about his father, a
mathematician, loving to teach intro calculus every year. I knew he was a
famous teacher, but I did not know that after teaching the class, he threw
out his notes and started fresh every time. Still pondering that phenomenon.
I know that when i teach, I cannot do so without getting involved afresh in
the materials, but I sure would not throw away my prior notes, but rather
try to build on them afresh. Perhaps because of the highly codified nature
of mathematics, starting afresh is the only way to keep each lecture
"creative." Of course, he has to create the lecture each time, but reading
from last year's notes and starting afresh seem very different.

Fly over the Rockies a couple of days ago. Amazing site with all the snow,
rising out of the plains.

mike