Re: [xmca] How can we reply to this...

I'll take a look at that talk tomorrow if I can. But let me respond to what you have said here.

On the one hand we are co-temporal with culture. How did we get the anatomy to speak and use tools, except that for millions years we did so without adequate "equipment"? But this does not mean we are "only" culture. Cultural practices always build artefacts out of nature-given material, according to its laws. To be an artefact is always to be subject to the laws of nature. There is no dichotomy between nature and nurture, material and ideal. In both cases, the categories fully overlap.

But on the other hand, the "postmodern" idea of an absolute noncommunication given cultural different is an absurd lie. The fact is that despite cultural difference, people always manage to work together, live in the same states under the same governments, exchanging products and collaborating in shared products. This participation in common activity is the secret to communication across cultural difference. You don't need to delve into the depths of the body to find this. Wave after wave of migration across the world has seen to it.

Of course we do have a lot in common in our physiology, but how far that goes is hard to tell. Practice, and the undertsanding of that practice, is the way to resovle these mysteries.

Make sense?
Andy

Ivo Banaco wrote:
Hi Andy,

Thanks for this piece. First I have to say that I've been reading your book "An interdisciplinary theory of activity" which is been a wonderful intellectual journey for me. Thank you and congratulations!

You said Andy that "People interact with the world through culture, and there were no human beings before culture, and no children born into a culture-free world". And as an ontological premise I would say that if culture is here from the start so are We. We exist, interact and that is culture. So there is no culture prior to human beings, nor human beings prior to culture, but both simultaneously. And for me this is important, because We neither become cultural or individualist reductionists. My worries are centered in the way We, within the cultural historical approach could avoid the postmodern trap of extreme cultural relativism. What I find in Gendlin's approach is a way to "rescue the human being" from 3rd person artifacts, respecting at the same time his cultural and historical structure. How can we explain otherwise cultural evolution in the lasts couple of centuries or how can we explain creativity if we cannot rescue the human being, our first person experiences and processes? In a Gendlin's small text that I would love you to comment called "On the new epistemology" (http://www.focusing.org/gendlin/docs/gol_2173.html) he says "In the regular notion, human beings have lost their instincts and are just culture products. It's true when you look at human beings across cultures, we don't share anything like as much as any animal species. Any given species of animals sleep the same, have intercourse the same, eat the same things. We have been varied and complexified, elaborated, made more intricate and in different ways. We certainly have cultural routines. This whole talk [this is in a conference] is going on in a cultural routine; otherwise you wouldn't sit there and let me talk nonstop at you. But the body starts out already as tissue with a great deal of internal organization and then becomes an animal , in a evolutionary way of talking, in which tissue processes are organized so the animal can move around and go after something, and then it becomes culturally human."

You see, the way of looking at culture is different, the emphasis on human beings as creators and molded at the same time by culture is the main point here. In what degree we "exceed culture" or move the culture forward?

Ivo