[xmca] Increased use of "accountability" in books

I put in "accountability" into the Google Books Ngram Viewer, and found a
marked increase in use of that word from 1985 to 2005
http://tinyurl.com/267lfd7

As Richard Ohmann has noted, there was little use of "accountability"
applied to education prior to the 1980s.  Given the rise of a business
management discourse (Fairclough), it has now become a primary discourse for
framing school policies.

All of this reflects the control of corporate America over the system since
the 1980s.  As reported in today's New York Times, the Supreme Court sided
with business interests 29% during the Warren court and 47% during the
Burger court (1969-1985), as contrasted with 61% of the time during the
Roberts court (2005-2009).
http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2010/12/19/us/politics/19roberts-graphicA.
html?ref=us

In his column, Frank Rich summed it all up by quoting the new Chair of the
House finance committee that's supposed to oversee the finance industry: "As
Bachus¹s instantly notorious pronouncement
http://blog.al.com/sweethome/2010/12/spencer_bachus_finally_gets_hi.html
had it, 'My view is that Washington and the regulators are there to serve
the banks.'"  In truth, this congressman¹s view has been the prevailing view
in Washington under both parties since the Reagan administration.