Re: [xmca] Interesting article on 'Sociocutlural subjectivities' in latest Theory and Psychology

Hi Mike
Yes. There were also other articles in the journal of relevance, for
e.g. Gergen's 'The Acculturated Brain '
Kenneth J. Gergen
Theory Psychology 2010;20 795-816
http://tap.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/20/6/795

and one by Salvatore and Valsiner:

Between the General and the Unique: Overcoming the Nomothetic versus
Idiographic Opposition
Sergio Salvatore and Jaan Valsiner
Theory Psychology 2010;20 817-833
http://tap.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/20/6/817

Mary

Mary van der Riet; School of Psychology; University of KwaZulu-Natal
Private Bag X01, Scottsville, 3209

email: vanderriet@ukzn.ac.za
tel: 033 260 6163;  fax: 033 2605809

>>> mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> 12/9/2010 9:51 pm >>>
Thanks Mary-- Interesting summary. Interesting bibliography as a way to
see
how the large common meme pool is drawn upon to create this account.
mike

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:06 PM, Mary van der Riet
<VanDerRiet@ukzn.ac.za>wrote:

> Sociocultural Subjectivities: Progress, Prospects, Problems
> Suzanne R. Kirschner
> Theory Psychology 2010;20 765-780
> http://tap.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/20/6/765
>
> Strongly constitutive sociocultural perspectives in psychology have
> become more developed and influential in recent decades,
particularly
> during the past 15 years. These approaches include constructionist,
> discursive, relational, dialogical, and neo-Vygotskian theories.
They
> diverge from one another in some respects, but are alike in that
they
> all consider psychological processes, such as mind and self, to
emerge
> out of social, cultural, and historical contexts. This paper
explores
> some central themes and commitments that inhere in these approaches,
> particularly with regard to how subjectivity is historically and
> relationally constituted. It emphasizes the importance of further
> legitimizing them within psychology and adjacent disciplines. It
also
> points out some current limitations, suggesting that they risk what
> social theorist Dennis Wrong called an “oversocialized”
conception

http://www.ukzn.ac.za/disclaimer/

Please find our Email Disclaimer here: http://www.ukzn.ac.za/disclaimer/