Re: [xmca] Dynamic Assessment in L2

Hi Mike & David

David, Your response to Mike's query is very clear and thought provoking.
Your summary statement that we must look to "mental structures" seems to be
a great place for further reflexive and reflective thought.

Mike, you wrote

What i noted as common to all of the papers was that they were all
synchronically oriented, even though in each case knowledge of the history
of the practices under examination was quite relevant to understanding them.
Its as if the cultural in sociocultutral did not take seriously culture as
an historical process.
In other contexts all of the authors had displayed interest in history, but
not when they came together under this banner.

I want to bring in George Lakoff and Johnson's notion of metaphor as NOT
fundamentally linquistic but actually "figures OF THOUGHT"  [please see
George Lakoff's article "A Figure of Thought" in the journal {Metaphor and
Symbolic Activity, I(3) p. 215-225} date unknown

Their basic premise is that metaphors are generalized "knowledge structures"
that transcend particular linquistic formations.  There is a SOURCE DOMAIN
structure [such as journeys] that TIGHTLY corresponds to a TARGET DOMAIN [
such as love]  Knowledge ABOUT love is MAPPED onto knowledge ABOUT
journeys.  What Lakoff proposes is that this is the basic STRUCTURE of
reasoning - that thought is metaphorical as novel experiences are mapped
onto conventional taken for granted knowledge structures.  A knowledge
structure such as "life as a journey" has profound implications for our
understanding and behavior in realms of love.

Mike, I wonder if the "differences" you mention [time domain vs space
domain] can be partially understood by bringing in Lakoff and Johnson's
notions of metaphor AS THOUGHT AND THINKING as the process that links up
various knowledge structures.
Final thought, "moral values" may fundamentally be "knowledge structures"

Metaphor from this perspective is a fundamental variable to consider when
trying to understand CHAT and SCT differences and correspondences

Larry