Re: [xmca] Fwd: NYTimes.com: What Is It About 20-Somethings?: textbooks

OK, I think I have it straightened out now. I was confusing things with some of the collective LCHC publications you and colleagues put out in the '80's. You are talking about a chapter in the textbook you and Sheila Cole have been doing, 1st edition 1989, 2nd edition 1993, and now in its 6th edition. When the 5th edition came out, the 4th (2001) went for a song and I snagged one - a rather impressive and monumental undertaking, that textbook. It has a chapter on the biological and social foundations, and another on the psychological achievements of adolescence. A chapter on "emerging adulthood" and a final one on "lifespan development" would certain logically fit.

Textbooks are peculiar things. We don't seem to acknowledge them much in scientific discussions, but they contain such a wealth of information. As for the modern publisher's need to keep creating new editions every few years, that seems to add another twist. Interestingly, some of the things we study from Vygotsky today were the equivalent of textbooks and correspondence courses at the time.

- Steve