Re: [xmca] perception/conception etc

Hi Eric posited the possibility of a primary need to RESPOND to others and
to help out others.  You question if this can be called a "precept" and if
it preceeds concepts.

I want to draw attention to a fascinating article by Joanne B. Waugh titled
"Writing the History of Historied Thought" published in the journal
Metaphilosophy, Vol. 36 No. 5, October 2005.

In this article she is responding to Joseph Margolis who wrote a book named
"Historied Thought, Constructed World.  Joanne's article is a fascinating
tour through the history of our notions of thinking and she makes a claim
that thinking is always social and always historical.  Her article links up
also with the notion of thinking and learning from a perspective of human
science. Her specialty is greek philosophy and she explores the how "text"
and "dialogue" have competed as metaphors for reflecting on conceptualizing
how we conceptualize.

Eric, I want to give her summary of how she views pre-conceptual processes.
[see page 595 of the article]  She is pointing out that "communication with
the other" includes pre-linguistic communication which she describes as
"correlating RESPONSES with the other in SHARED SPACE" through expressions,
stances, gestures, and movements. This movement in shared space is necessary
for the development of language and acquiring concepts.  Language is
something we abstract and systematize from our communicative acts. These
communicative acts cannot be reduced to some other more fundamental or
primitive capacity.  This knowledge of communicative acts demands that our
ideas of material or natural things include KNOWING HOW TO DO THINGS TO THAT
ENABLE COMMUNICATION - "making sounds, gestures, faces, and movements, that
we INTERPRET as meaningful.  Just as we speak of knowing how to walk,
gesture, dance, or ride a bicycle, and mean that this KNOWLEDGE is stored in
the muscles, nerves, and joints of the body as well as the brain, we can say
that knowing how to communicate - how to speak a language - is EMBODIED in
its speakers."

Foucault speaks about language being written on the body.  Waugh reverses
this metaphor when she states, "but this metaphor where body stands in place
of text should be turned around, for insribing language on some object -
generating a document - imitates the way in which language - and knowledge -
are in the body.  The text or document is a metaphor for the body and not
the other way around. The embodied speaker is not imitating the text or
document; rather the text stands in for a speaker."  She also points out the
Margolis uses the term "incarnation" to describe how the intentional and
cultural is real and in physical things.  Waugh's purpose in writing her
article is to challenge the Cartesian perspective that we occupy positions
as SPECTATORS looking out on the external world that we learn to "read" as
if the world is a "text" to be interpreted. Rather we are always already
in-the-world in a space that is no longer internalized or "withdrawn from
the PUBLIC WORLD"

This is summarizing only 2 pages of a well written article that I think
speaks to linking up CHAT and the notion of the human sciences.  There is a
reality that is embodied and pre-linguistic and pre-conceptual.  Whether the
label "percepts" is necessary the reality of communicative acts or "helping
others" I believe is foundational to understanding being and becoming
persons as moral agents at home in the world.

Larry

You have