[xmca] Generalization Is Not Abstraction Again

Paula:

Let's imagine for a moment that Vygotsky is a rather obstreperous child. He doesn't play with blocks; he tends to play with the possessions of his elders. Sometimes he will pick up a thing and knock the stuffing out of it, and he will drag it around like a blanket for a few years, and then plump it up with something completely new.

We know that Vygotsky did this with terms like "syncretic", "complex", "pseudoconcept" and even "concept", words he did not coin but used until they were threadbare and then filled with completely new content. We know that he did this with the blocks experiment as a whole (which he and Sakharov pinched from Ach and Ribat by way of Uznadze and who knows who else).

You see, I think he did the same thing with the word "stimulus", and even with the word "mediation". Each word marks a very different period in Vygotsky's development, and each word marks a period where he has a new way of thinking but does not have a new way of referring to it yet. I think can easily see this in concept of StM2 you refer to: it's behaviorist terminology with a completely new, cultural historical, causal-dynamic content.

If, as you (and Valsiner) say, the accumulated perizhvanie of the child is a "stimulus-means" that cannot be either discounted nor factored out, which can be neither controlled nor ignored, then the whole rationale of referring to stimuli and means is obviated, and alone with it all of the terminological baggage up to and including any notion of "mediation" that does not include an account of the IDEOLOGICAL content (that is, the semiotic value, the ducks or fish or pelicans or turtles which other people are standing there pointing at).

One final example, and then I'm done. This is Vygotsky quoting Piaget on p. 27 of the Labirint edition of Thinking and Speech:

Пиаже, следуя за Ларсоном, полагает, что ≪между этими функциями сгущения и перемещения и функциями обобщения (которое является видом сгущения) должны иметься промежуточные звенья. инкретизм как раз и является самым существенным из этих звеньев≫ (1, с. 174).

Here's what Meccaci's got for this:

"Piaget, following Larsson, supposes that 'between these two functions and those of generalization (which is a sort of condensation) and abstraction (which is a kind of displacement) there must be all the intermediate links of a chain. Syncretism is precisely the most important of these links'”.

Now, this is wrong. Vygotsky doesn't say that Piaget says that abstraction is a kind of displacement at all. He leaves that part out, as Seve, who is very scrupulous about Vygotsky's use and misuse of Piaget, does:

'Piaget, following Larsson in this, supposes that “between these two functions” of condensation and displacement “and that of generalization (which is a sort of condensation) (…) there must be all the intermediate links. Syncretism is precisely the most essential of these links' ”.

But Piaget really DOES say that abstraction is a kind of displacement. Right here on p. 161 of the Routledge Classics edition of Language and Thought of the Child:

"As we have suggested elsewhere, there must be every kind of intermediate type between these two functions and process of generalization (which is a sort of condesnation) and abstraction (whch is a sort of transference). Now syncretism is precisely the most important of these intermediate links. Like the dream, it 'condenses' objectively disparate elements into a whole. Like the dream, it transfers, in obedience to the association of ideas, to purely external resemblance or to punning assonance, qualities which seem rightly to apply only to one definite object. But this condensation and this transference are not so absurd nor so deeply affective in character as in dreams or autistic imagination. It may therefore be assumed that they form a transition between the prelogical and the logical mechanisms of a thought."

So we've got condensation and transference in the Piagetian period of autistic thought. These are think "linked" in the period of egocentric thought by a "central link", which is syncretism. Vygotsky often talks about the "central" link in a chain, and I used to have a terrible time with this, because of the extremely literal nature of my imagery, but it works pretty well if we imagine a central, egocentric speech link to which two links (condensation and transference) are attached at the autistic end and two OTHER links (generalization and abstraction), like dancers holidings rings that are on a loop of string. This image has the advantage of suggesting convergent lines of development (condensation and transference) which meet in syncretism and transform each other, but then are driven functionally again in generalization and abstraction, rather the way speech and thinking do.

So here's what I think. Vygotsky DOES differentiate between abstraction and generalization. They are two different things, and they are two separate roots of conceptual thinking. But his distinction does not appear deus ex machina in Chapter Five. In fact, it doesn't even appear deus ex machina in Chapter Two, where he just barely refrains from attributing the distinction to Piaget by judicious elipsis. It is something he made up by playing with condensation and transference, Freud's two favorite cigars.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education