Re: [xmca] Generality Is Not Abstraction

David,

Thanks for this valuable clarification by using a clear metaphor.
Could I ask you [or others]to reflect how  generalization and
abstraction are processes of the development of perspective taking.  Mead
talks about "generalized others" as the source of "multiple *MEs*  He
posits social interACTIVITY as prior to interSUBJECTIVITY, and Jack Martin &
Alex Gillespie's neo-Meadian extension of  the theory posits higher levels
[that develop  but  always remain embedded in interactivity and
intersubjectivity] where the *generalizations* are *meta* perspective
taking.  In these higher realms we coordinate and link up sociocultural
traditions.  Martin suggests adding two metareflective levels to the
development of perspective-taking which extend Mead's theory from the
earliest formations of *inter*activity, through formations of reflective
*inter*subjectivity* and in the final two levels become *inter*imaginal and
*inter*dialogical [institutional coordination]

One *meta*reflective process activates  *imaginal idealization* within
coordinated scocial interactivity and coordinated intersubjectvity.
Habermas' theory of communicative action  is given as an example of
idealizing and imagining new ways to coordinate multiple traditions.  The
other process that Martin states can be theorized distinctly from imaginal
ideation is the *meta* process of "dialogical" coordination of multiple
traditions which requires a "community of inquiry" where we can engage in
ideally attempting to coordinate  competing cultural traditions [I would
suggest CHAT is an example of this dialogical metareflective development]  I
suggest these Martin's *meta*levels are moral and ethical dialogues that are
CONTESTED but ideally "rules" or "conventions" could develop which support
the emergence of a new sociocultural tradition which can dialogue with other
moral and ethical traditions. [When Martin Packer talks about "kinds of
persons" I believe he's expressing his ideas at this *meta*reflective level
of coordinated perspective-taking.
Martin and Gillespie's developmental theory also posits the earliest levels
of ontogenesis as PREreflective and embedded in interACTIVITY [social acts].
Their neo-Meadian theory challenges and critiques the cognitive "theory
theory" models of the formation of mind.  They explain the
developing process of identity formation and personhood as originating in
social ACTS [which supports Stern and V. Reddy] and moves toward REFLECTIVE
intersubjective perspective taking [ such as Andrew is experiencing at
school as he attempts to coordinate his interactivity and
intersubjectivity]
At the *meta* reflective level [which is always embedded in situated
concrete interactivy & and reflective  intersubjective perspective-taking ]
the developing capacity to IMAGINE and DIALOGUE emerges to facilitate
coordination at the institutional and  societal level.

David, as you can tell from what I've written about the CONSTITUTIVE SOCIAL
RELATIONAL account of Meadian perspective taking  your discussion of
generalization and abstraction must always be kept "in mind" [and
coordinated reflectively and metareflectively] in how we view historical and
onto genetic development.
(I should also mention micro genetic development which is your deep
fascination.)
Abstraction and generalization and the concept of "distanciation" are key
constructs in the accounts of "perspective-taking [Which Gillespie and
Martin suggest loose there explanitory power when Mead's perspective
taking is TRANSLATED into SIMULATION and THEORY OF MIND notions of
development.

I know I've shifted the focus of your post from "generalization" and
"abstraction" to a more specific example of "perspective-taking" and its
developing trajectory toward "distanciation" and "decentering" (Piaget) but
I hope it is another concrete examle like "water" which looks deeper into
how generalization and abstraction play out in our reflections on
development.

Larry

Larry